Harry Potter And The Prizoner Of Azkaban

Started by modage, July 31, 2003, 09:57:31 AM

Ghostboy

In response to the above queries: that terrific song is in the movie, to the same extent that it's in the trailer (meaning, you've already heard the whole thing).

And the artistic integrity of the film -- yes, it's easy to top Chris Columbus, but Cuaron definitely brings a distinct touch. It's far less storybook in its appearance, much more dank and realistic.

JB, it took me forever to read the books. I started the first one and couldn't get past the thirtieth page. I generally don't like fantasy like that at all, but when I finally tried again, I got hooked and read the rest of them at the rate of about one per day. It's insane how addictive they are. But if it ain't your thing, I know where you're coming from. I'm a surprise convert.

xerxes

it was definitely very good, i had a few minor problems, mostly to do with the overall pacing.

on another note, a question: does the possible annoying-ness of the audience on opening night of a "big" movie outweigh the desire to see that movie on said night???

or maybe i'm just too easily annoyed

Chest Rockwell

Cool. Thanks, Ghostboy.

I never used to like the books, but after rereading them I'm really interested to know what happens to the characters.

Tictacbk

Definetly, definetly, definetly blew Chis Columbus out of the water.  This movie is much more dark and adventurous than the first two.  Cuaron pays much more attention to details that add to the movie as a whole rather than those that please the book fans.  

Although I do agree, the pacing of the movie was off a bit.  It barreled through summer, fall, and winter and then spring dragged on.  But all in all the ever-flowing camera work and brooding undertones of the movie made it far superior to the first two.

SPOILER (kind of)

the freeze frame ending was hilarious.

Chest Rockwell

Saw it today. Man was it awesome. Definitely my favorite of the series thus far. It's so much more artistically crafted than the other two, and I liked the little motifs concerning time and spheres that I noticed. Very well made.

The acting is much more believable in this one than the other two, as well; perhaps it's just the little actors growing up into their characters, or change of direction? And generally it's much darker than the other two, which works seeing as how the series is continually growing darker with each one. Very good.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice that some of the shots wouldn't work at all in full screen?

Ghostboy

Yeah, the ones where Harry and Hermione watch their earlier counterparts jump immediately to mind.

Also, here's my full review.

modage

i liked this movie, but i still think the first one is my favorite.  i'd have to watch it again because i havent seen it in a while though, but that movie seemed to do the most coherent job moving the story along and introducing you to the whole world with such wonder while the previous 2 sort of had to blow through everything just to cram all this stuff in without having much breathing room to stop and smell the magic.  (a review i read said something basically about how some of the scenes sort of flew by and others happened in real time), so the pacing is a little sloppy in that regard.  i liked how the characters are growing up and some of Harry's angst.

SPOILERS MAJOR

im really getting sick of a few things though.  ONE) how all the teachers have all this crucial information but refuse to give any to harry even though his life is in danger every movie.  and TWO) how their information never seems to be all the way right and there is a twist at the end of every film.  who is she M Knight Rowlathan?!  i wanted Gary oldman to be an evil murderous crazy, not harrys friend!  after 2 hours of dread and staring at that fantastically insane poster, to have to be let down like that was rough!

END SPOILERS

the movie was still pretty good although i was not as blown away as i had hoped from the advance word and the promise of Cuaron directing.  i'd have to see it again.  BTTF2 anyone?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

I loved it. It could've been longer, IMO. I was ready for another hour and then it ended so suddenly, so abruptly....

And while I loved it, I'm not sure if it's my favorite out of the 3 so far. The best crafted, certainly, but the others (especially the first) seem to have a more magical and wonderous atmosphere about it. But I do love the direction the series has taken. I loved the look of this film, however, and I'm anxious to see how Newell follows it up.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Tictacbk

Am i the only one who wishes Johnny Depp played Sirius Black?

modage

Quote from: TictacbkAm i the only one who wishes Johnny Depp played Sirius Black?
uhhh, wasting a wish on taking gary oldman OUT of this movie?!?!  yeah, i'd say you're the only one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tictacbk

Its not that i dislike Gary Oldman.  Its just that ever since i read the book i had pictured Depp.

Chest Rockwell

No, you're definitely the only person here who thinks Depp could be a better Sirius. He's much too young. Plus Oldman has a larger mouth the better to scream at you with.

xerxes

did anyone read roger ebert's review, it seems like he had a mental lapse when he was watching the movie. it didn't seem like he really knew what was going on.

Ghostboy

That happens on a pretty regular basis with him these days.

El Duderino

a great movie...easily the best of the three. alfonso curaron kicks chris columbus' ass. i was sad that there wasnt more alan rickman, but you cant win them all. i thought gary oldman was great. i reccomend.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?