Master and Commander

Started by MacGuffin, July 26, 2003, 12:35:40 AM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Ravi

Supplements: The Hundred Days (69:34 min); In The Wake Of O'Brian (20:56 min), Cinematic Phasmids (29:59 min); Sound Design Featurette (20:13 min); Interactive Sound Recording Demo; Six Deleted Scenes (22:33 min); HBO First Look (25:49 min); Four Multi-Angle Studies; Split Screen Vignette; Four Art Galleries; Theatrical Teaser and Trailer; International Trailer (this is a two-disc set)

.i was looking through the current best buy ad.and noticed that they have the two disk on "sale" for phucking $30 ..WTF???...........thats a little high .those extended LOTR sets were cheaper than that......the panic room se was $30 but its 3 discs also.......so thats cool.....what (if there is) a one disck set of master&commander.. and what features are on it..?

Ravi

According to Amazon, the 1 disc version is barebones.

SHAFTR

after another viewing of this film...at the budget theatres, I have to admit that I enjoyed it much more the 2nd time around.  The film really hits enormous peaks when the relationship between the Captain and Doctor is emphasized.  The detail in this film is incredible, and cinematically it's near perfect.  My only real beef with the story is that I feel it drags and it's pacing suffers when the the film concentrates on the other crew members.  Mainly the mutiny/curse storyline with one of the crewmembers.  I think that the expectation of the film the first time around spoiled it for me.  Sitting back and watching it again revealed a better film than I had initially thought.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

I finally caught this on dvd, and I must say it exceeded all of expectations, and then some.  Weir delivered a great classical-style movie (and I say that in the best way, it made me think of Errol Flynn swashbuckling) about war, honor, and friendship.  

I'll admit, I playa-hate when it comes to Crowe, I pretty much loathe him and his current works, but man, is he great here.  Early on, there's a look that he tries to hide from the amputee kid that was just heartbreaking.  A small moment, but really terrific.  Bettany was great as well (no Oscar nom for him... helllooooooo?), and the relationship between the captain and doctor was a solid backbone for the story.

There's no sense praising the technical aspects, they all rock and are extremely well made.  ESPECIALLY the battle scenes.  I thought Weir was gonna have to puss-out with that PG-13 rating, but it all worked.  

As for the curse/suicide business, I enjoyed that stuff.  It was interesting the drama that happens w/in the crew, and how these young boys who are put into positions of respect/power must grow up pretty fast or it will swallow them whole.

SPOILERS

I don't know about anyone else, but when we got the ending 'reveal,' I was mad the movie was over.  Where's the sequel?????  I guess I'll have to read the books.

NEON MERCURY

spoilerrrrrrrs are in dis bitch.

..i read W2Act's review and everything he  said i agree....i feel stupid that i missed it during its theatrical run....but i am pleased that i spent the $30 on the overpriced dvd set...(best buy has a 3 disc one)...it was  just a well made piece of art......and i usually don't see that many boat/swashbuckler films..but this one felt fresh and unique and held my interest during its 2 hr. plus runtime.........the kids "growing up" was cool.and the cannon suicide scene was done well....crowe, who i hear is a hard person to deal with, is flat out a brilliant actor...hes good in everything i have seen him in....i agree that bettany deserved an oscar nod...........theres so much more that i could say to give it props ..but i feel obligated to say the nature/gathering specimens/island scenes were a welcome plot element.......i hope people give this a chance..its worth a rental at least.....just for the technical merits........but if you like it the 3 disc is loaded.......it even comes w/ a collectable map charting the exact route that crowe's posse went on....so that way in case you and your friends feel like doing some mastering and commandering ..you'll have the exact route and can following in "lucky's" wake........but no cheating bitches...you can't go through the panamal canal........gotta go around the whole contiment  baby..........

Alexandro

I was unaware of the hate this film received around here a few years back. I think everyone should watch it again, I would bet most will be pleasantly surprised.

I watched it in the theatre alone, because no one wanted to see it mainly for all the reasons everyone exposed around here (the Russell Crowe hate, the "boring" tag, the gladiator deja vu feel of the trailer, the title even), and thought it was perfect. I mean fucking perfect all around. Of course it was gonna be hated. It is way too subtle for today, and the detail is incredible. Knowing back then that I would regret not seeing it again on the big screen, I dragged my parents with me to see it, and they both enjoyed it quite a bit. I just reinforced my high opinion on the film.

I checked it again last year on dvd and really, it holds up wonderfully. The relationship between the doctor and the captain, the moral questioning, the "what you must do vs. what you wish you could actually do" stuff...

Just wanted to add my view around here, cause the xixax hate seemed excessive.

yes ! i saw it a year ago and we loved it. it's a personal favorite among my family. they're into 'hornblower' as well, but i haven't seen nor read any of that stuff. my grandfather was an admiral and my dad is a captain, and there's always been films like this in my house and at my grandparents' and uncles'. we need more films like this, not the pirates bullshit. my dream is to see a blockbuster kick ass film about the battle of trafalgar. give cillian murphy a few more years and he'll be a great nelson.  hell, i'll direct the movie. in my mind
context, context, context.