Master and Commander

Started by MacGuffin, July 26, 2003, 12:35:40 AM

Gold Trumpet

I'll be tough: There seems to be really nothing of weight to this movie. Nothing of intrigue into it. Weir can composite a dramatic shot as well anyone. I've disliked a lot of his films and loved the same number. I don't know what to expect, though. Crowe seems in this just because it allows him to build up his ego and being a child again in play acting every single career and adventure he ever wanted to do. Gladiator was the same deal. He did act, once, in The Insider.

~rougerum

Gloria

I don't know whether I want to see this movie or not. I've always been a fan of Russell Crowe, but everytime I see this preview on TV, I don't feel an urge to see it.  I guess if I had to choose between Master and Commander or Looney Toons: Back in Action.......I would have to choose Looney Toons. Just because I have a soft spot for Warner Brothers cartoons. Master and Commander looks a little boring. Then again, I am judging just by the trailer.  I'll read some reviews and then think about it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaI guess if I had to choose between Master and Commander or Looney Toons: Back in Action.......I would have to choose Looney Toons. Just because I have a soft spot for Warner Brothers cartoons.

Looney Toons died when Mel Blanc did.  :yabbse-cry:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Agreed on that, 100% -- thus, I'd choose Master & Commander. I still am not too enthused about it, though. But my mom recently told me that she's really excited about it because she's reasd all the books, so if she likes it, I'll probably have more of a drive to go see it.

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinLooney Toons died when Mel Blanc did.  :yabbse-cry:

Very sad picture...... :(

I agree, Looney Tunes hasn't been the best since Mel Blanc passed away, but the old cartoons are hardly shown on regular cable and if they are, they are edited.  Also, I like being able to watch the characters on the big screen.

I'm not saying I won't see Master and Commander, I just havent found a reason for me to rush out and see it.

Ravi

I agree, Looney Tunes hasn't been the best since Mel Blanc passed away, but the old cartoons are hardly shown on regular cable and if they are, they are edited.  Also, I like being able to watch the characters on the big screen.[/quote]

QuoteI'm not saying I won't see Master and Commander, I just havent found a reason for me to rush out and see it.

I'll wait to see what kind of reviews it gets.  Ebert and Roeper recently gave it two thumbs up.

Redlum

The Harry Knowles review is up and has got me much more excited about seeing this.

"To me, this is the most "Kubrick" film I've seen since his passing."

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16492
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ProgWRX

I wasnt to hyped to see this, but after checking rottentomatoes it seems to have almost unanimous positive reviews...

guess i gotta go check it out  8)
-Carlos

SoNowThen

The preview made it look like the biggest shit-sandwich of all time, but the fact that Bettany is in it, and the fact that Ebert seems to fucking love it makes me wonder if maybe it was just a bad trailer...

but no way will I pay $8+ to see this, so someone here needs to post a review.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

I'm considering paying $5 to see it tomorrow afternoon.  Might be a good double-feature with Mystic River.  We'll see.

Gold Trumpet

This is film is so bad it is beneath comment for me. This is the first time I've done this too. I'll rise to the challenge of anyone who likes it and thinks I am insane and wants to argue, but for now, it is beneath comment.

Pozer

wow, that was your shortest post ever. you must have really hated it.

Ghostboy

I've sorta started looking forward to it all of a sudden in the past two days, after reading the good reviews and thinking back about how much I've loved some of Peter Weir's movies. So I'll get back to you in the next couple of days, GT, to discuss it.

Derek

Well, I really enjoyed it. I must be stupid.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Kal

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThis is film is so bad it is beneath comment for me. This is the first time I've done this too. I'll rise to the challenge of anyone who likes it and thinks I am insane and wants to argue, but for now, it is beneath comment.

I havent been able to see it yet. Probably will in the next few days. I have recieved similar comments as this one so far so its not encouraging... anyone elses opinion?