Underworld

Started by MacGuffin, July 24, 2003, 12:08:49 AM

MacGuffin

Click on poster for new full trailer:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

who are the good guys?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

Is she fighting werewolves or vampires???

Either way, this looks wicked awesome, and reminds me of a great comic I used to read called Wetworks.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenIs she fighting werewolves or vampires???

Premise: Set in the secret nocturnal and supernatural world of vampires and werewolves, two groups that have been at war for centuries, this is the story of a romance between a female vampire warrior, Selene (Beckinsale), who's famous for her strength and werewolf-hunting prowess, and a non-werewolf human, Michael (Speedman), who is being hunted down by the werewolves because he has a unique type of blood that can save their race from extinction.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: Ma©Guffin
Quote from: SoNowThenIs she fighting werewolves or vampires???

Premise: Set in the secret nocturnal and supernatural world of vampires and werewolves, two groups that have been at war for centuries, this is the story of a romance between a female vampire warrior, Selene (Beckinsale), who's famous for her strength and werewolf-hunting prowess, and a non-werewolf human, Michael (Speedman), who is being hunted down by the werewolves because he has a unique type of blood that can save their race from extinction.

I just shat my pants in excitement. Who's directing? Man, I hope this is good...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenWho's directing?

Director: Len Wiseman (feature film debut)

Director Notes: Len Wiseman got his start working as a prop designer for movies like Independence Day and Stargate, before becoming a director of music videos (as a stepping ground to feature work), making videos for songs by groups like Megadeth and En Vogue.

Screenwriter: Danny McBride (feature debut)

Based Upon: This project is loosely inspired by William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", but in modern times, and with vampires and werewolves instead of the Capulets and Montagues, respectively.

Skeleton FilmWorks

STARBUCKsChild

Looks like a good Gothic film.  It reminds of The Crow series.  Is this actress new?  Fresh face.  I am so glad they didn't pick a teen superstar or something.
"There is a paradox when we look at pictures. We see the beauty and we see the dark side of things. Beauty tinged with sadness.
How is it that we must hold what we love tight to us, against our very bones, knowing we must also, when the time comes, let it go....?"

-Sally Mann

Sleuth

Quote from: STARBUCKsChild

Looks like a good Gothic film.  It reminds of The Crow series.  Is this actress new?  Fresh face.  I am so glad they didn't pick a teen superstar or something.

Kate Beckinsale.  You might know her from Pearl Harbor.

Is this thread void of IMDB?
I like to hug dogs

chainsmoking insomniac

This film looks great.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Raikus

I've been waiting for Underworld for quite some time. If it can keep itself anchored in the gothic underground type mood I think it will be rather good. Most movies like this mess up and pay attention to the first part of the movie with set designs and cinematography and then devolve into a typical "movie" look. If it keeps the same M.O. as Matrix and Crow I'll be very happy.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Myxo

This movie looks really great. The trailer looks great.

Twenty bucks says the dialogue & story suck ass.

I can see it now. The director is sitting in a room with some friends.

"You know what? We haven't ever seen a movie with Vampires & Werewolves going at it have we? By GOD! We have to make one. Here is what we'll do:

1. Borrow the look of The Matrix.
2. Write a crappy story about Vampires vs. Werewolves.
3. Use lots of special effects to cover up aweful dialogue.
4. Find a hot girl to dress up in lots of black leather.

Instant target audience!

Banky

wow.  Way to be optimistic.

Myxo

Quote from: Bankywow.  Way to be optimistic.

I'm equally optimistic that Christina Aguilera will ever be anything other than a fine piece of ass.

:)

Banky

Quote from: halo_on
Quote from: Bankywow.  Way to be optimistic.

I'm equally optimistic that Christina Aguilera will ever be anything other than a fine piece of ass.

:)

incoherent posts are the best

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2