Blood Simple.

Started by ono, July 22, 2003, 11:27:32 PM

ono

Possible spoilers.

Just caught this on DVD earlier this afternoon, and I was thoroughly impressed.  I'd kill to make a debut film this strong.  This is probably my second favorite Coen Brothers film next to The Big Lebowski now (I've also seen Fargo and Miller's Crossing, so I've still got a few to see yet).  There is no deep meaning to be found here.  It's just a story of a comedy of errors that's really dark, and gory, and nightmarish to say the least.  It's a Thriller of the greatest proportions, because it doesn't really advertise itself as one (it seems like simple noir), but plays as one.  Sounds and visuals are really key in this film.  I can remember one scene that played really quietly and I just sat on the edge of my seat listening to the dialogue, and nearly jumped when I heard the loud SMASH! of a newspaper being thrown, crashing against a screen door.  And, during one point in the film, there goes a time of about 15 minutes in which there is no dialogue.  It's brilliant really.  Ray's brutality towards Julian is really shocking, and of course, Loren is deliciously evil.

What really gets me is how Abby has no clue what's going on the whole time, and Ray -- the idiot -- doesn't tell her.  Some trusting relationship they have there.  It costs him his life, serves him right.  At the end, of course, Abby kills Loren, but she doesn't even know it's him.  She thinks Julian has come after her.  The last line in the film, as a result, is great.  I also loved how, as I said before, how nightmarish this film was; all the blood that the characters couldn't seem to get rid of, especially in Ray's car.  It was just such a nice touch.

One thing I was unclear on, though, was when Loren fired through the wall at Abby, did he hit her?  She seemed to have sat there, stunned, and was moving slowly, but the camera never panned down to show any wounds.  Also, the preface to the film, with that Masterpiece Theatre-esque man introducing the film was priceless.  It seemed so funny to me, because he played the "introduction" seriously but I got this great "tongue-in-cheek" vibe the whole time.  And I think that was the point.  I've heard great things about the mock commentary track, so I'm definitely gonna listen to that when I can.  Anyway, excellent flick, the DVD is definitely worth the $9.99 pricetag.  **** (9/10)

SoNowThen

yeah, I'm so glad the boys here told me to blind buy this. What a great film. Gotta watch again soon. Fav shot = the handheld crazy fast push in when Dan Hedaya pulls Frances outside the house.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Yeah, the Coens did really make a wonderful start of carrer. Very unique, very stylish, very cool film that would set the tone for most of their films to follow. One of my favourite scenes there is when Meurice is going to press the button on his answering machine and they cut to another finger, now Ray's, pressing the blood in the back seat of the car. Really cool :) oh, and I also love most of the music use there.
Si

Ghostboy

Also, while most trailers sucked circa-early eighties, the 'Blood Simple' trailer is pretty astounding. I didn't see it until I bought the DVD and even though I'd seen the movie before, it made me want to see it again, right away.

As for the movie, I was really impressed by the animatronic dog.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02honestly, the only reason BLOOD SIMPLE is so low, is because i only saw it once and it was 8 or 9 years ago.

It's time for another viewing...quick.

i FINALLY FINALLY got around to watching Blood Simple again.  my second viewing ever (and first in about 8 years), and my girlfriend saw it for the first time (which was the last coen movie she hadn't seen).  god, i completely forgot about (most of) the movie.  it had been so long, it was like seeing it for the first time.  i didnt know what was going to happen.  and it was GREAT.  i remembered it being slow and dark, (but then again, i was probably 14 and watching a terrrible old vhs copy.)  but it wasnt any of those things.  their style already was in place and it was so smart and great.  wow, i loved this movie.  i've seen all their other movies many many times (except hudsucker only 1 time, and o brother only 2 times), and its really interesting to see their other gems, in addition to the ones i know by heart.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

What did you girlfriend think? And where would you rate "Blood Simple" on your list now?

Quote from: themodernage021. RAISING ARIZONA
2. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
3. FARGO
4. BARTON FINK
5. THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE
6. HUDSUCKER PROXY
7. MILLERS CROSSING
8. BLOOD SIMPLE
9. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

well we had actually went through our coen collection recently and watched all of them (except hudsucker, which we dont have). so my list would actually be more like this now...

1. RAISING ARIZONA
2. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
3. BARTON FINK
4. THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE
5. FARGO
6. BLOOD SIMPLE
7. MILLERS CROSSING
8. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU
9. HUDSUCKER PROXY

she liked Blood Simple a lot too.  she thought it was really amazing especially for their first movie, (and didnt have really high expectations because it was their first movie.)  so i think she was surprised, and found it to be really interesting and cool.  now we have to hear that commentary.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

What was she wearing as you guys watched it?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Pubrick

does she wear black-framed Tina Fey glasses?
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pdoes she wear black-framed Tina Fey glasses?

not anymore.

Pubrick

oh, cos those are hot.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pdoes she wear black-framed Tina Fey glasses?

not anymore.

You bastard.

I'm ressurecting my Tina Fey thread...

oh, and Blood Simple is great!! Walsh is such a great creep. His voice is killer.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jonas

Watched it last night for the 2nd time (bought it for only $10!!). Wow, it really holds up to a 2nd viewing as well.

*spoilers*
I love the fact that none of the characters know what's going on. Visser is only going after Abby and Ray because he thinks they found his lighter, Ray thinks Abby killed Marty, and Abby doesn't know what the hell is going down.

They fact that they find out what's going on when we do really helps the movie. The suspense is very very good, and this was on a 2nd viewing. The camerawork is great as well (the zoom in that SoNowThen mentioned, the camera push over the bar that goes over the drunks head, etc...). There are also some very disturbing scenes (buried alive! and the hand) that stick with you more than most "horror" movies.

M. Emmet Walsh is such a slimy bastard, too. It's great.

I think it's got one of the better endings in the past 2 decades as well. I'm damn glad I've added it to my DVD collection.

a very strong ***½/****

I also agree with Ghostboy about the trailer, it was very good.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Mesh

Quote from: themodernage02
1. RAISING ARIZONA
2. FARGO
3. BARTON FINK
4. BLOOD SIMPLE
5. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
6. THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE
7. HUDSUCKER PROXY
8. MILLER'S CROSSING
9. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

There's my ranking.  But I need to see M'sC, HP, TMWWT, and OBWAT? at least two more time's each before I've settled on that.