Stone Reader

Started by ono, July 17, 2003, 09:08:04 PM

ono

Anyone seen this yet?  Just got back from it, and it was pretty good, especially for writers of any sort, or just anyone who loves to read.  It's a documentary about a man who loved a book (The Stones of Summer) when he was younger, so he tries to seek out the author, who's only written the one book and then drifted into obscurity.  The film starts off slow, but then picks up as the director/protagonist/narrator interviews all the different people who were involved with the book, and then finally tracks down the author.  And we learn that the book is due for a re-release in September 2003, by Barnes and Noble, thanks to his effort.  Sticking around for the credits is rewarding this time, as it reads like a hall of fame of great books, because it credits all the books and authors mentioned in the film.  The list alone was awe-inspiring, for me, anyway, and it made me want to read.  An all-around great, inspiring film.  ***½/**** (8/10)

Ghostboy

I'm a literary junkie, so of course I loved the movie. If you don't like to read, though, you probably won't like it because it meanders from the 'detective' aspect of the story quite frequently and delves into just how great books are. This is precisely why I love it, though. I can't wait to pick up Stones Of Summer. I can't imagine seeing the movie and not being driven to read the book.

pete

I really enjoyed this movie, but didn't get into it until the "second act."  I thought the guy rambled on too much in the first act and his "diary" or whatever he was reading from sounded stupid.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jokerspath

I also enjoyed this.  I nearly cried when he started talking about Joseph Heller and Catch-22.

This is def. a neat movie for lit. geeks.  That list at the end was great, I seriously thought I wished it into existence...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SHAFTR

Another film I saw at the Wisconsin Film Festival.  Mark Moskowitz (the director) was there for an intro and Q&A.

I really enjoyed the film, there were a few points I think it started to get a little too slow but I found it to be very moving.  It made me realize how little I actually read and that I should start reading more (I do enjoy reading).

It's on DVD now, so it's worth a look.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"