The Exorcist - appreciation thread

Started by filmcritic, July 10, 2003, 05:11:26 PM

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

More info on the DVD:

Paul Schrader’s version of “The Exorcist" prequel on DVD?
Source: Variety

Although Warner Brothers has set August 20 to release “Exorcist: The Beginning,” many fans have been questioning on what particular version of the film they will be seeing – director Paul Schrader’s version or Renny Harlin’s version.

Initially the prequel was to be directed by John Frankenheimer (Ronin) but, due to his death, was replaced by Paul Schrader (Auto Focus) where the acclaimed writer-director turned in a rough cut of the film, which later was rejected by Morgan Creek. Citing the reason that the film was not scary enough, Morgan Creek hired director Renny Harlin (Deep Blue Sea) to direct a few weeks of reshoots, which later blew up into reshooting the whole film.

Now Variety is reporting that Morgan Creek maybe be contemplating on releasing Paul Schrader’s version on DVD.

"I'm very proud of my film, and I think it deserves to be seen," Schrader told Daily Variety. "If I get the DVD, I can say 'God bless you Renny; may your film do well.

Both parties have agreed to DVD terms in a way of settling contractual issues, but it is unknown if Schrader’s version will be released with Harlin’s version in a dual DVD set.

"This is going to sound unbelievable," Morgan Creek’s James Robinson told Variety, "but we made a movie -- twice. If you see the two movies, you wouldn't believe it's the same d.p (director of photography)."

Robinson also reveals that Schrader’s version was roughly made for $32 million to $35 million, while Harlin's version was shot with the same cinematographer, cost between $52 million to $54 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Cripes, let's ALL make a version of this movie, and release a whole freaking DVD box set!

It can be like back in the late 80s, when everyone got to make their own version of Madonna's "True Blue" video, and then MTV showed billions and billions of them, back to back. And I sat dazed in front of the TV, watching them and realizing that, as it turns out, there really AREN'T that many people with original ideas out there.

cine

Quote from: Find Your MagaliCripes, let's ALL make a version of this movie, and release a whole freaking DVD box set!
WHOA, LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!!

XIXAXCIST BOX SET!!!!!

mogwai

cine

Quote from: mogwaithat would be 1175 versions.
Well, at the very least we would narrow it down to the ones who actually post...  :?

Find Your Magali

I call dibs on Shia LaBoeuf to star as the young Father Merrin in my version.

I'm interested in Mr. BK's version of the The Exorcist.
context, context, context.

cine

MacGuffin

Exorcist Anthology Due
Five film set due just in time for Halloween.

On October 10, 2006, Warner Home Video will release The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology on DVD. The film set will arrive just in time for Halloween, and will include The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen, Exorcist II: The Heretic, The Exorcist III, Exorcist: The Beginning and Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist. It will feature tons of bonus materials and extra features. It will be available for the MSRP of $42.92.

Check out the front and back box artwork for the The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology DVD below:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I love the original, 2 was shit, 3 was ok and I haven't seen the two versions of the prequel's yet, so those are on my list to rent.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

grand theft sparrow

They both suck but the only good thing about the Harlin version is that it makes you realize that Schrader's version has at least some merit.  If Harlin's version had never been made, we'd all be saying just how awful Schrader's was but, God bless it, now we know it could have been much worse.

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 15, 2006, 01:10:37 PM
Exorcist Anthology Due
Five film set due just in time for Halloween.

On October 10, 2006, Warner Home Video will release The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology on DVD. The film set will arrive just in time for Halloween, and will include The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen, Exorcist II: The Heretic, The Exorcist III, Exorcist: The Beginning and Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist. It will feature tons of bonus materials and extra features. It will be available for the MSRP of $42.92.

Check out the front and back box artwork for the The Exorcist: The Complete Anthology DVD below:

That's cool, but I'll never, ever pay money again for The Version You've Never Seen.