Whatever we do

Started by Redlum, July 07, 2003, 09:08:44 AM

Redlum

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/lab/shorts/

Fox Searchlab is proud to present the online premiere of Whatever We Do, the directorial debut of actor Kevin Connolly (Antwone Fisher). A 2003 Sundance Selection, Whatever We Do features an A-list roster of talent including actors Zooey Deschanel, Robert Downey Jr., Amanda Peet and Tim Roth. This short was produced by Tobey Maguire and written by Nick Cassavetes.

The story is a not-so-simple day in the life of four friends who after many margaritas, come closer to the truth about their relationships than they ever expected - or wanted. Whatever We Do has a few sexual situations and some language. All Searchlab Shorts are unrated.

------------------

I haven't been able to watch it yet because there's no low bandwidth version. Although I remember Sphinx gave a link to a program a long while back that would download streams. Anyone remember?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

Besides the participation of Zooey, and Tim Roth, does the rest of this sound like a huge shit sandwich to anyone else? There's nothing more annoying than pointless festival shorts made by amateur hacks... except star funded young actor-turned-director pointless shorts filled with famous people.

EDIT: also, I can't think of anything more horrifying than having to sit through a Nick Cassavettes story. Even in short format.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Yea, I partly agree w/ SoNowThen...hate to say it...Zooey would usually lure me to ANY film's premiere and Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors that I haven't seen in many movies at all and I do like Robert Downey Jr...but this...this just sounds kinda dumb to me. Maybe I'll catch it one of these days if I ever get my speakers to work...but it's not a priority.

ono

Sounds so cliché.  Actually, it sounds like a Raymond Carver short story I read just about a month ago: What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.  M'eh.

jokerspath

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSounds so cliché.  Actually, it sounds like a Raymond Carver short story I read just about a month ago: What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.  M'eh.

It sounds exactly like that story...

What is the "m'eh" about, though?  Are you not a Carver fan?  What put you off?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT