Swimming Pool

Started by jokerspath, July 01, 2003, 02:51:15 PM

pete

everything you heard is true.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

filmcritic

I'll be traveling to New York and I'll see it there.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Sal

Saw it last night, and really dug it, save for the ending.  I don't like those kinds of endings.  I had the same problem with Man On The Train.  Both films, while brilliantly yet simply composed, have endings that not only feel out of place to the rest of the narrative, but seem tacked on to elevate things at the last minute.  IMHO, such endings are fine for films which are fairly ambigious throughout, but not ones which carry simple narratives and should therefore have simple but effective endings.  It's a minor gripe though.  I loved both films dearly.

TheVoiceOfNick

I saw this movie a couple of nights ago... it has A LOT (read: a lot!) of nudity in it... including "aahh huh huh huh... an old naked chick"... there are lots of sex scenes in it too...

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

It also has an interesting twist at the end that leaves you thinking "what the fuck?"... i was confuseled but then eventually got it a few minutes later... i guess they want people to see it twice... hrm...

Nick

ono

Just got back from this film.  It was really bad.  From the get-go, the protagonist was an unlikable old bag, but the young girl, Julie, wasn't too great a person either.  Then things just kept on getting worse and worse as you find reasons to dislike both of them more.  The final act descended into slapstick, hyperbole, and melodrama ("I did it for you!  For your book!"  :roll: ).  The ending felt tacked on, and an attempt to be cute, clever, deep, or mysterious.  Its only redeeming qualities were one witty line at the beginning: "Awards are like hemmorhoids: eventually every asshole gets one," and the abundant, free-spirited nudity and sexual content.

Swimming Pool: *½ (4/10).
Ludivine Sagnier's breasts: ****+ (10/10)
That averages out to a *** (7/10), which is where I guess Ebert and Berardinelli both got their evaluations from.  Somehow, if it didn't have as much T & A, I don't think people would like it as much.

Cecil

there wasnt THAT much nudity.

i enjoyed the film, felt a bit uneven. when it started i was thinking "hm, this is a different direction for ozon," then near the end it suddenly became more like something id expect from him. but anyway

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedthere wasnt THAT much nudity.

i enjoyed the film, felt a bit uneven. when it started i was thinking "hm, this is a different direction for ozon," then near the end it suddenly became more like something id expect from him. but anyway

You thought it didn't have that much nudity? You probably thought deepthroat didn't either then... in fact it should have been PG, huh?  :P

Nick

Cecil

one day, ill show you all what REAL extensive graphic nudity is.

Ravi

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedone day, ill show you all what REAL extensive graphic nudity is.

Do you know what day?  I don't want to miss it.

Cecil

that day may never come. unless you all put up a budget for me

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedthat day may never come. unless you all put up a budget for me

Ooh, Ooh! I donate $5 to that cause!

Nick

filmcritic

Very good movie! Anyone have theories on the ending?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Ghostboy

I think the ending is pretty clear once you think about it for five minutes...not too many variables to worry about in this case. SPOILERS!!!! The Ludivinie Sagnier version of the daughter never existed beyond Rampling's imagination/novel. END SPOILERS.

Cecil, I too donate five dollars to your nudity movie.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: filmcriticVery good movie! Anyone have theories on the ending?

SPOILERS

Yeah... it sucked... I hate it when endings are a big sham... like give me some reality... don't make me sit there for 2 hours then tell me that what i just watched didn't really happen!

Nick

filmcritic

That's what I thought. SPOILER - But I heard one person claim that Ludivinie Sagnier's dead mother possessed Rampling's mind and she began seeing her through the daughter. The mother was suppose to be sexually active and wild like Sagnier appeared to be. I don't know.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert