Duel

Started by MacGuffin, June 30, 2003, 01:49:10 PM

MacGuffin

Universal have once again announced Duel: Collector's Edition, this time for release in August. Hopefully it will be available for a little more than twenty-four hours this time! The film will be presented in 1.33:1 full screen along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono and English DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include A Conversation with Director Steven Spielberg, a Spielberg and the Small Screen featurette, a Richard Matheson: The Writing of Duel featurette, a Photograph and Poster Gallery, the trailer, Cast and Filmmaker biographies and production notes.

The Sugarland Express starring Goldie Hawn will also be available from the 17th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: eward
Quote from: bonanzatazi want to have your children on a plate with butter sauce and crackers

you sick sick bastard

yeah, seriously--BUTTERSAUCE?  Good job being fat.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffinUniversal have once again announced Duel: Collector's Edition
The Sugarland Express starring Goldie Hawn will also be available from the 17th.

Woopie-doo!

modage

watched this and THX last night for the first time.  interesting first films from both directors.  duel was pretty damn good, especially considering it was MADE FOR TV, and especially considering it was made for tv THIRTY YEARS AGO!  the suspense was great and the shots/staging was pretty great too.  it was hard to imagine how to fill 90 minutes (mostly) inside of a car, but spielberg sure pulled it off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

So finally I saw Duel, after years of hoping to do so. What an awesome little movie. I mean what the fuck? How old was Spielberg when he made this? Every staging decision is the one to make. I always wondered how they would fill an entire movie with that premise without being stupid or derivative or becoming some sort of moral crapfest like the Saw movies but man, you don't even notice it. I think I saw it thinking of it as some kid of assignment, film culture thing and the film just kept surprising me and thrilling me in the old fashion way. This is the difference between a real talent and a hack. I don't think he wasted one opportunity to make it a vibrant experience. The truck is an amazing character in itself by the end of the movie.

This might be a weird comparison, but it reminded me a bit of Straw Dogs in it's depiction of a male who is constantly belittled in his virility by others. Every character in the film treats the protagonist as some sort of unmanly individual, and at some points you are made to feel he's acting like a complete coward. His wife also complains about this on the phone, about some other guy "almost raping" her at a party the night before. Spielberg has always identified with these type of nerdy, non confrontational characters...and as we all know he's always very forgiving with irresponsible absent fathers. This guy is no exception. Man I wish Spielberg would one more cheap film just for the fun of it. Only good things can come from that...