BOOK/FILM

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 18, 2003, 12:54:50 PM

NEON MERCURY

What books have you guys read that have been adapted into films and do you like the film or book better?

Me:
A Clockwork Orange-film
The Thin Red Line-book
Rum Punch-film
High Fidelity-book
Lord of the Flies-book
Jurasic Park-film
oh yeah!!! Requiem for a Dream-film

Currently reading-American Psycho

sorry if there is already a thread for this-redirect and lock- if so. Thank  You :

SoNowThen

Virgin Suicides - film
Godfather - film
Get Shorty - film
Lord Of The Rings - book (well, duh...)
Cry The Beloved Country - book
To Kill A Mockingbird - book
Great Expectations - book (vs Lean version, I will not watch the new one)
EDIT: Catch 22 - film (by a hair... just because it's so underrated)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

bonanzataz

Quote from: SoNowThenGreat Expectations - book (vs Lean version, I will not watch the new one)

didn't the guy that did "y tu mama..." do the new one. i saw a little bit of it, it looked pretty good.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

BonBon85

Clockwork - film
Fight Club - tie
Trainspotting - film
Requiem for a Dream - film
The Color Purple - book
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - film
The Oxbow Incident - book

SoNowThen

QuoteSoNowThen wrote:
Great Expectations - book (vs Lean version, I will not watch the new one)

didn't the guy that did "y tu mama..." do the new one. i saw a little bit of it, it looked pretty good.

Nothing really against it, I just want a straight up adaption.[/quote]
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: NEON MERCURYWhat books have you guys read that have been adapted into films and do you like the film or book better?

Me:
A Clockwork Orange-film

really, i think the book is much better than the film.  the last chapter of the book isn't even in the film.  don't get me wrong, the film is brilliant but the book is so much better.

imo, i would say the only films that bet the books are FIGHT CLUB (palahniuk is entirely overrated as a writer) ADAPATION and BATTLE ROYALE.  

HIGH FIDELITY is close.  the book and film are completely different (in a good way).
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

jokerspath

Christ, this list would be enormous if I ever looked at my books.  I'll just ring some of the ones I liked the most off:

Fight Club
Trainspotting
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Virgin Suicides
The Ice Storm
Jesus' Son
The Godfather
Lord Of The Rings
A Clockwork Orange
The Thin Red Line
High Fidelity
Lord of the Flies
Jurassic Park
Requiem for a Dream
About A Boy
American Psycho
2001: A Space Oddyssey
Catch 22
Permanent Midnight
Silence Of The Lambs
Red Dragon
Hannibal
The Stand
Shining
Lonesome Dove

And of course all the Stephen King short stories made into something or other, which are just way too numerous to mention...

I am not sure if its even worth trying to figure out what I liked better, because they're mostly so goddamned different.  I also tend to watch a good movie and want to read the book, which makes it harder to be objective.  

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

BonBon85

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: NEON MERCURY

Me:
A Clockwork Orange-film

really, i think the book is much better than the film.  the last chapter of the book isn't even in the film.  don't get me wrong, the film is brilliant but the book is so much better.

imo, i would say the only films that bet the books are FIGHT CLUB (palahniuk is entirely overrated as a writer)

Well, I'd be curious as to why you think the Clockwork book is better. As far as the last chapter goes you have to have heard the story that the version of the novel published in America did not contain the final chapter because the publishers felt that it betrayed the spirit of the rest of the novel and this is the version Kubrick based the film on. When he later read the final chapter he felt that the version without it is better, which I tend to agree with.

And don't even start on Palahniuk...

godardian

Quote from: BonBon85Clockwork - film
The Color Purple - book

Good lord, yes. That movie was a rank bastardization.

Any of the books Godard made into films, I prefer the films. He purposely used books with little "literary value" so that he could feel absolutely free to transfigure them...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

My list would be enormous, too. One that sticks in my mind is The Hours. It was pretty faithful to the book, and considering that the book is almost entirely made up of interior monologues, I was amazed that it worked so well. The book and the movie are both a lot better if you've read Mrs. Dalloway, however.

ProgWRX

the only movie from a book that ive preferred in movie-version has been The Shining...

Kubrick > King

(and nevermind the laughable King -miniseries version of the film)
-Carlos

bonanzataz

Quote from: GhostboyMy list would be enormous, too. One that sticks in my mind is The Hours. It was pretty faithful to the book, and considering that the book is almost entirely made up of interior monologues, I was amazed that it worked so well. The book and the movie are both a lot better if you've read Mrs. Dalloway, however.

i just got a shipment from paramount of all these screener videos the other day including the hours. They came with no note and were addressed to a Dr. Steve. The return address says Paramount Home Video and it's somewhere in California. I don't know ANYBODY that works for Paramount. Anyway, you bringing up that movie reminded me and I think I'm going to watch it tonight. Weird though, huh?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: ProgWRX

Kubrick > King

I like King, but I can't help agreeing with that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

USTopGun47

Oh man I have to say Clockwork Orange is better as a book.  I mean, it's a visual blowout and amazingly done, no arguement.  Yet I think it reaches a higher zenith on a literary level using the Nadsat, though Kubrick did a good job of bringing that flavor to the screen.  I think the book is also better for first laying down the philosophical themes it proposes.  Burgess came up with a brilliant style and theme, and its development was executed beautifully.  I don't think Kubrick made an adaptation that can go above and beyond, despite his epic visuals and insight.  However, I am a little biased, I find it too be his most overrated film.  But on a lighter note, I prefer the inclusion of the 21st chapter.   :angel:
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

SHAFTR

I think it matters if I've seen the book or the film first.  Whichever I've seen/read first is normally what I liked better.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"