Sweet Sixteen

Started by ben, May 30, 2003, 12:28:41 AM

ben

I dunno if anybody else has posted regarding this film yet. I just saw it with one of my friends and I must say that I was very disappointed. It dragged at many points, and the story line is rather cliched. There aren't any cool camera tricks or editing to compensate for the dry story line.

One positive thing I have to say is that I respected the Liam characters acting. He looks rather young, but he shows a promising future in acting.

Just my $.02.  :-D

dufresne

southern california?  where did you see it?
There are shadows in life, baby.

godardian

Quote from: benI dunno if anybody else has posted regarding this film yet. I just saw it with one of my friends and I must say that I was very disappointed. It dragged at many points, and the story line is rather cliched. There aren't any cool camera tricks or editing to compensate for the dry story line.

One positive thing I have to say is that I respected the Liam characters acting. He looks rather young, but he shows a promising future in acting.

Just my $.02.  :-D

I've been dying to see this, as someone who's enjoyed every Ken Loach film I've seen... are you saying this as someone familiar with Ken Loach's other work, comparing it in context, or is this the first one of his you've seen (sorry if that sounds patronizing)?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Redlum

I dont think I've seen another Ken Loach film but I thought this was really good. Its a rare thing thing when an english film doesn't have the closing of a major industry (steel or coal usually) as its backdrop.

I did have subtitles on for this one for a while though, until I got into the groove of the accents.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ben

i saw it in Irvine, at the University Center Edwards directly across from the University.

i haven't seen any other Ken Loach films, and to be quite honest with you, I've never really heard of him.

I simply think that the film was not as good as it could have been. As i said before, the story line wasn't really spectacular, but I think the director could have compensated for this with camera movements and such. The film was very "dry" throughout.

I guess I do see a lot of potential in this movie, it's just that the potential wasn't reached.

bonanzataz

is this the one with molly ringwald where everybody forgets it's her birthday and her grandparents come to visit with long duck dong? hahaha! that guy makes me laugh so hard that i could fucking shit!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

RegularKarate

Quote from: bonanzatazis this the one with molly ringwald where everybody forgets it's her birthday and her grandparents come to visit with long duck dong? hahaha! that guy makes me laugh so hard that i could fucking shit!

HAHA!  I thought that's what they were talking about at first too.  

HEY SEXY GIIIIIIIRRRRLLLFRIEND!