MADE or SWINGERS?

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 01:15:26 PM

modage

if theres not already a topic for this, MADE or SWINGERS? which one is your favorite?  (feel free to make this a poll).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

MADE, hands down, 'cause Favs directed it. I think Doug Liman sucks ass. But I still love Swingers.

But those deleted scenes,  when Vince Vaughn says "... aka the Red Dragon"... hilarious.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

Victor

are you gonna eat with us too?

Raikus

God, Made was such a disappointment.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Made was annoying. I didn't realize it before, but Favreau is trying to make a Buster Keaton movie with Vince Vaughn's obnoxious character in place of Keaton. Its just an endless series of a character in given situations and reacting it to in his supposed lovable and interesting way. Bad choice. Vaughn's character is a minor character at best because more than 20 minutes of him is very annoying. Keaton, on the other hand, is genius because his character keeps pushing the stunts as the movie goes on and seems more than lovable even.

I never saw Swingers so I can't really pick but I imagine Swingers has to be a little better at least because I've liked other films by the director a lot.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

GT, you're wrong. The first watch Vaughn IS supposed to be really annoying. But when you watch it again, you realize he was pretty much right the whole time. Plus he's just absolutely hilarious. C'mon, we've all had friends who just won't shut up and constantly embarrass us.

Plus it was a classic comic twist of the gangster genre. You of all people should appreciate that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

SoNowThen,
Thing is, on first watch for like the first half hour, I did think he was funny but then it became all too repititious and he became annoying. Then on the second time of viewing from me when catching it on showtime or whatever, I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes because I couldn't stand Vaughn at all. And how was he right all the time? He seemed like a character driven by lack of patience and consistently started up bad arguments to hide that. He seemed wrong all the time.

On the reinventing of another genre, I didn't feel that. What I got was classic Keaton used in a new area and instead of the gangster genre being turned around, you had a classic comedy situation end up in a new background only. It's still the same ol' thing though.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Vaughn was right to be paranoid because something WAS wrong with the whole deal. He was right that they needed guns, and he was even right that the wife in the house (at the start) wanted him, but they cut that out and put it as a deleted scene. He's over the top, but his instincts were actually correct, which gives another layer to the humour.

And JLG said "old stories told in new ways". Nothing wrong with this film. It's funny. Really. You honestly don't think someone who's loud and stupid and keeps on arguing isn't slightly amusing? The whole "buddy comedy" principle. I dunno, I love it.

EL__SCORCHO

I used to think Swinger's was way better, but I've watched "Made" a few times on cable and its grown on me. I still like Swingers better, but Made has its charm.

On the first viewing, I got tired of Vaughn pretty quickly, but on the 3rd or 4th viewing I loved him.

Keener

Totally Swingers but I did love Made.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

jmj

I thought "Made" was great but "Swingers" kicks ass.  When it came out it put Vaughn, Favreau, and Liman on the map.  I've seen it tons of times and love it every time.  I haven't had much interest in watching "Made" again but according to what some folks here are saying I should.  So I will.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Rudie Obias

i say SWINGERS but MADE is very very close.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

NEON MERCURY

swingers...made comes close  
:arrow: SWINGERS had better music
:arrow: MADE had Vince V. playing an annoying character

Alethia

swingers.  i didn't care too much for MADE