WALKABOUT

Started by godardian, May 23, 2003, 03:52:21 PM

godardian

I really love this movie. I see it as the missing link between Kubrick and Safe. Visually, I think it's inimitable. I've seen it many, many times. The moment I saw the first five minutes on television, I got online and ordered a DVD copy. I had to have it.

Anyone else fond of it?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

I LOVE THIS FILM.

Saw for the first time a month ago. Bought instantly. Watched again. Absolute perfection. I repeat -- this is a perfect film. Never before have I seen such a raw and powerful movie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

After seeing this, Bad Timing and Performance went to the top of my Must Watch list. Anybody seen those? Will they ever come to DVD?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenAfter seeing this, Bad Timing and Performance went to the top of my Must Watch list. Anybody seen those? Will they ever come to DVD?

Performance is brilliant, but unavailable on DVD (I think). I'd wait for DVD. It has to happen sooner or later (knock wood). I've never heard of Bad Timing; what is it?

Performance was co-directed by Roeg and Donald Cammell, on whom there's a very interesting documentary that pops up every now and then on IFC. He had a very interesting life (and death).

I think the only other Roeg films I've seen are The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Witches. I'd like to see more.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

I couldn't agree less with the person who voted "Not worth mentioning," but I mean, come on; would it have hurt to leave a little explanation? I'd be interested in hearing it.

SoNowThen

see Don't Look Now. Very good horror, kinda reminds me of Obsession, but ten times as creepy.

Bad Timing is supposedly a very sick love story. So sick and disturbing, in fact, that it was barely released. And apparently it's full of flashbacks and flash forwards. Man, I love Roeg's style.

Gold Trumpet

2001: a Space Odyssey made me interested in film in the more artistic side. Walkabout made me want to be a filmmaker for a living. Instead of praise, that is comment enough on where it stands with me.

~rougerum

godardian

I'll even- *gulp*- cop to appreciating Roger Ebert's essay included on the DVD insert, which seems to have been written by someone else; suddenly, Roger Ebert has insight and fluency! The film works miracles.

Ghostboy

I just watched Walkabout this evening, and it's amazing; one of the saddest films I've seen in a while, too, although not in the way I had expected from the description on the Netflix envelope. Of Roeg's films, I've seen The Witches, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Don't Look Now and now this, his first, and also probably his best.

While I was watching it, I kept thinking about how you could never get away with this now; I'm speaking mainly of the nudity, of course. But then I found out that it had been excised from the original version and not restored until 1996. That it was unavailable in any form for so long seems criminal. Thank god for Criterion/Janus films.

SiliasRuby

I watched this a week ago and my first impression was that it was tremendously boring, (don't crucify me yet) but as I think about it more and more-the ideas that it put across, I came to respect it more and more. It really is an elegant film and everyone should see it at least once.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alethia

it's brilliant.  very creepy in many ways too.  like the indian kid's little seductive dance or whatever at the end - had me on edge for some reason, i really fucking held my breath the whole time.  i love this movie.

Pubrick

Quote from: ewardthe indian kid's little seductive dance or whatever at the end
jesus christ. under what circumstances could an australian aboriginal be called indian? even the american natives are only called that cos columbus was looking for india. i guess they're all the same to u huh.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

yeah that's what i meant.  shoulda just said native.  sorry, i'm american.  chill.  thanks.

Pozer

Quote from: Ghostboy
While I was watching it, I kept thinking about how you could never get away with this now; I'm speaking mainly of the nudity, of course.
How old do you suppose that young girl was at the time?  I'm guessing no more than 16... maybe she was 18.  Damn hot either way.

polkablues

Quote from: POZERHow old do you suppose that young girl was at the time?  I'm guessing no more than 16... maybe she was 18.  Damn hot either way.

:shock:

:nono:
My house, my rules, my coffee