Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopio on July 12, 2006, 02:58:45 AM

i only just today decided to venture into my brother's mp3 folder and play this.

i was driven by one question i hav yet to find an answer for: is timbaland trying out for The Incredible Hulk or what??

and thanks for the dylan link we didn't get from you.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: Pubrick on August 26, 2006, 11:59:48 AMi was driven by one question i hav yet to find an answer for: is timbaland trying out for The Incredible Hulk or what??

:yabbse-undecided:
i like maneater A LOT, if that answers your question...

and here it is, my bravest post ever:

i've liked iron maiden since i was a kid and they still have it. i'd choose them over the rolling stones any day, of the week.

context, context, context.

MacGuffin

That's showing a red x. Use Amazon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Alizee - Mes Courants Electriques

I'll admit, I was initially drawn in solely by my baser instincts, but the music's growing on me.  Sort of a Natalie-Imbruglia-doing-Euro-dance-music vibe.  "A Contre Courant" is a great song, and "J'en Ai Marre" is damn catchy.  There are a couple of songs that are available in both French and English versions, and the English versions are brilliantly awful.  For starters, the translations are worse than Japanese user's manuals, and second, Alizee doesn't seem to be a big English speaker, so the words kind of become meaningless sounds spilling out of her mouth.  But she's got a nice voice, and the music itself is a step above your standard American popstar creation.
My house, my rules, my coffee

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Lucid on August 27, 2006, 08:37:33 AMFaraquet - The View From This Tower

"Cut Self Not" is some hot shit. So is the new Black Keys.

Been listening to this band a lot.

Sigur Rós

pete

he's doing the same thing with different production techniques.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

last days of gerry the elephant

I recommend this greatly.

the jon brion influence is just too obvious but  dang, 'tomorrow' is a very sweet song.
context, context, context.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: pete on August 28, 2006, 05:40:21 PM

he's doing the same thing with different production techniques.

The song "Post-War" is great but I haven't really sat down with the rest enough to know whether or not I like it as much as Transistor Radio and Transfiguration of Vincent. Probably seeing him on Sept. 20th.

pete

well, he's a bit like his buddy conor o'berst, in which there is a lot of posturing for soulfulness.  the good news is he's a better musician the bad news is he plays it very very safe.  essentially he's been playing the same song for five albums now.  the bad news is he's losing that vulnerability that resonates in all of our pansy hearts.  he and o'berst and the morning jacket dude all are essentially clever, sheltered versions of Bob Dylan.  They all like to sing songs that either evoke timelessness or something vaguely blue state (actually I dunno if the morning jacket dude is like that all the time--I've only heard a few songs by him) but aside from phrasing their sentiments in good rhymes and catchy melody, their insights are as limited as any well-traveled middle class white boy.  it's the same as rappers doing songs about getting organized and power to the people without much wisdom behind it.  I don't expect these people to be gods or problem solvers, that's why I still listen to them and enjoy their music, but I will appreciate it if they take a stance, even if I disagree with it.

I've been saying this for ages, I know, but I was really disappointed with M. Ward's new song "Chinese Translation", in which a young man asks a sage three deep questions and the sage just recalls the time when he asks those three questions.  it's like one of those sci-fi mysteries in the end when the answer is always like "it's whatever you want it to be, it's in your imagination".  one can't help but be disappointed, M. Ward could've sang anything and it probably would've sounded deep and reasonable--he's got the voice and the sincerity to back himself up, but instead he just sings the first verse again as if it's given an added meaning.  GOOD ONE M.  Jon Prine had a similar song and he sang something about burn the TV and that sounded amazing.  kenny rogers's gambler offered real laughable advices when spoken outloud but it's gotta be the catchiest chorus ever.  m. ward wouldn't even take that risk.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: pete on August 29, 2006, 02:08:19 AM
well, he's a bit like his buddy conor o'berst, in which there is a lot of posturing for soulfulness.  the good news is he's a better musician the bad news is he plays it very very safe.  essentially he's been playing the same song for five albums now.  the bad news is he's losing that vulnerability that resonates in all of our pansy hearts.  he and o'berst and the morning jacket dude all are essentially clever, sheltered versions of Bob Dylan.  They all like to sing songs that either evoke timelessness or something vaguely blue state (actually I dunno if the morning jacket dude is like that all the time--I've only heard a few songs by him) but aside from phrasing their sentiments in good rhymes and catchy melody, their insights are as limited as any well-traveled middle class white boy.  it's the same as rappers doing songs about getting organized and power to the people without much wisdom behind it.  I don't expect these people to be gods or problem solvers, that's why I still listen to them and enjoy their music, but I will appreciate it if they take a stance, even if I disagree with it.

I've been saying this for ages, I know, but I was really disappointed with M. Ward's new song "Chinese Translation", in which a young man asks a sage three deep questions and the sage just recalls the time when he asks those three questions.  it's like one of those sci-fi mysteries in the end when the answer is always like "it's whatever you want it to be, it's in your imagination".  one can't help but be disappointed, M. Ward could've sang anything and it probably would've sounded deep and reasonable--he's got the voice and the sincerity to back himself up, but instead he just sings the first verse again as if it's given an added meaning.  GOOD ONE M.  Jon Prine had a similar song and he sang something about burn the TV and that sounded amazing.  kenny rogers's gambler offered real laughable advices when spoken outloud but it's gotta be the catchiest chorus ever.  m. ward wouldn't even take that risk.

Wow, I can honestly say I agree with everything you just said. Thank you.

I Love a Magician

I mean maybe. But I don't think M. Ward is trying to be anything like Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan's more about the words and the story and etc. but from what I've read, M. Ward is more about the song and evoking a certain feeling or time, the vocals and lyrics come second to all that. So I don't listen to M. Ward expecting him to give me a new "Idiot Wind" (or whatever Bob Dylan song you prefer), I just wanna sit back and feel that shit and sometimes a lyric'll pop up that'll move me but it's mostly about the guitar and that dude's voice.

And I don't think Jim James of My Morning Jacket is like Bob Dylan at all, as far as lyrics go. Or musically, really.

But what's so Blue State about those two? I don't recall ever hearing anything in any of their songs that would get anyone from either side of the political spectrum up in arms. My Morning Jacket has somewhat "weird" lyrics sometimes, but they both write about pretty standard stuff for the most part (girls, travelling, music itself).

but i got nothin to say about bright eyes but i do like some of his songs

edit:

Quote from: pete on August 29, 2006, 02:08:19 AMwell, he's a bit like his buddy conor o'berst, in which there is a lot of posturing for soulfulness.

Please explain how M. Ward is posturing for soulfulness. I just think people like to slam people for no reason at all because they THINK that the person is posturing or faking it or whatever. Devendra Banhart has a few songs about animals and 1/3 of his lyrics are basically nonsense, so he's "going out of his way to be weird." The Black Keys are two white dudes playing blues rock so they're fakers. Etc. But who can say?

modage

the first album in YEARS that i was looking forward to that i did not hear a leaked version prior to its release.  WEIRD!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.