DOWN WITH LOVE

Started by godardian, May 14, 2003, 02:41:17 PM

godardian

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Think Coen Bros. meet Pillow Talk.

Anyone else?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

jonas

I'm going to see it this weekend.  8)
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

picolas

i was pretty skeptical about this 'ne until i saw these. may be some good, funny stuff.

godardian

I really was pleasantly surprised. There's one moment I thought was just terrible- seemed like a bad Austin Powers rip, no more details as I wouldn't want to commit a "spoiler"- but otherwise, really fun to watch. Highly artificial and zesty and fun.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Fishbulb

Yep, I saw the movie last week and I know which scene you're talking about. If I had been in a preview screening audience for the movie and had a chance to make comments, I would have urged them to cut this scene. The smutty tone is out of place with the more winking sort of innuendo prevalent in the rest of the movie. Otherwise I enjoyed the movie a lot, it was very well directed and entertaining.

BonBon85

I enjoyed it as well. Somebody must buy me Barbara's apartment - Please! I swear this movie was made for me: cute animated title sequence and excellent early 60's fashion and decor.

godardian

Quote from: FishbulbYep, I saw the movie last week and I know which scene you're talking about. If I had been in a preview screening audience for the movie and had a chance to make comments, I would have urged them to cut this scene. The smutty tone is out of place with the more winking sort of innuendo prevalent in the rest of the movie. Otherwise I enjoyed the movie a lot, it was very well directed and entertaining.

Exactly. I'm not a prude by any means, but it really took the wind out of the sails, since a lot of the dialogue relied on it being innuendo, and then when you see something that blatant, it's like, "Why bother?" It removed some of the necessary tone and tension.

But I'd still recommmend it. It's really just one scene. And it's more than made up for by Zellwegger's scene towards the end.... the long, long dialogue... I cracked up the whole time.

modage

i liked it.  funny, cute.  very pillow talk which i liked also.  funny and entertaining.  great 60s look.  i liked the supporting cast of David Hyde Pierce and Sarah Paulson alot too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

What a great love letter to those 60's Doris/Rock movies. So delightful. The tone was pitch perfect. Beautiful art direction. Loved that "on the town" montage. And Renee and Ewan's performances were pure chemistry. She had me laughing so much with her posture and way of walking.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I saw it last weekend, and then watched Pillow Talk for the first time this evening. 'Down With Love' is amazingly successful in capturing that feel. I'd say they're pretty much equals. And that long speech in the end is spectacular. I've read a few reviews where people complained about that...how hard is it to get? It's the funniest part of the movie!

Alethia

i fucking loved it.

picolas

i enjoyed it as well.

i really wonder how big that monologue was on paper. the end credits sequence is probably the most "Delightful!" thing i've ever seen. Chris Parnel was perfectly cast. even though the scene a couple of you were complaining about was a little less..eh..tasteful than the rest of the movie, you've got to admit it was still pretty clever. wonderful use of helicopter, too. i recommend..

modage

"spoilerz"
- friendly neighborhood admin

close to 2 pages of dialogue in the script...

When you read the script, it starts with that speech, and it's close to two solid pages of dialogue. What I wanted to do was... the movie has a lot of movement, and I wanted to set it up where there's a static shot on Renee, and she says, "I'm not Barbara Novak, there is no Barbara Novak," and, then, it cuts to a static reaction shot of Ewan, and he says, "Huh?" Then it cuts back to that same static shot of Renee when she starts to explain. So I wanted to set it up as if, "Oh, okay! They're going to be cutting back-and-forth and back-and-forth and so on." So by the time you've cut to Ewan and you've cut back to Renee, it doesn't cut after that. It keeps going, and people gasp at the revelation. And, then, this tension starts to sink in because it's just this uninterrupted shot, and there's not even a slow creep-in or a zoom; it's just this static shot. I did it really for two reasons: I wanted to build the tension off the ridiculousness of the length of that speech, and, also, I just wanted her performance to stand on its own, and be unaided. And, so (laughs), yeah, I'm sure it's probably a polarizing moment for people, but I love it. It was always in the script, and I really wanted to do it in a way that really stopped in its tracks in that way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat a great love letter to those 60's Doris/Rock movies. So delightful. The tone was pitch perfect. Beautiful art direction. Loved that "on the town" montage. And Renee and Ewan's performances were pure chemistry. She had me laughing so much with her posture and way of walking.

Yeah, it's like the whole thing was choreographed. My theory: Every 60 seconds of that kind of breeziness on screen = Tons of very, very hard work writing, staging, and acting. And a good effort all around.

I'm surprised so many people like it so much. But glad.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianI'm surprised so many people like it so much.

Wait until GT sees it. That'll change.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks