se7en two?

Started by tpfkabi, January 13, 2003, 10:01:25 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKarate
also... Panic Room is far more stylistic and gimicky than Se7en.

i agree -- seven is a very controlled film -- tell me one shot that was over indulgent or "gimicky". any stylized element of seven is through the lighting and art direction, not the director's need to employ "cool" shots. i feel it's very traditionally told from the visual standpoint.
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

Well, not being willing to put myself through that again (I did re-rent it a couple years ago just to confirm my position, and I barely made it through), I'll just have to say that to me, there is something about David Fincher's mis en scene in Se7en (even the title's a gimmick!)- even in Paltrow and Pitt's apartment- that seems so graphically designed in such a superficial way. Like, "Let's make everything gray yet apocalyptic; that'll sure spell 'doom!'" It just really lacks subtletly. And I think the reason I have a problem with that is that David Fincher seems a very pulp, very non-intellectual, conceptually unsophisticated director with a lot of technical skills, but people rate him with other directors who are genuinely inspired. I mean, obviously, he's not the worst out there- but sometimes it's more irritating to see mediocrity overpraised than it is to see true badness become a box-office success.

That being said, I guess if I had to choose between watching, say, Kangaroo Jack and re-watching Fight Club, I'd sit through Fight Club and enjoy seeing Helena Bonham Carter looking all bad-ass and trying with a fun performance to pull herself out of the rather misogynistic muck she's flailing around in.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

chainsmoking insomniac

I loved her performance in Fight Club.  I just hated the movie.  And I wouldn't allow myself to fall into a position where I had to choose between Kangaroo Jack or Fight Club.  :P
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Se7en Prequel in the Works
Source: MovieHole

A prequel to one of the best thrillers of the 90s, "Se7en", is about to get underway, says Bloody Disgusting.

Called "Virtue", the film is said to be written as a stand-alone feature but will have some links to the Brad Pitt/Morgan Freeman starring film.

According to the site, a treatment has been written for the film – which at this stage David Fincher, the director of the original, is not mentioned as helming – with the studio now on the lookout for someone that's handy with a pen to flesh out the full screenplay.

Meantime, a separate spin-off of the original "Se7en" film, a comic book series has also been commissioned. The comics will also serve as a prequel to the events of the 1995 film.

"Se7en" fixed on a serial killer (Kevin Spacey) who forces each of his victims to die by acting out one of the seven deadly sins. The murder scene is then artfully arranged into a grotesque tableau, a graphic illustration of each mortal vice. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt are the detectives who skillfully track down the killer--all the while unaware that he has been closing in on them, as well.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

just saw a Fincher Q&A.  he said he would rather have cigarettes put out in his eyes than make a sequel to Se7en.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

He didn't say anything about a PREquel, hmmm?

tpfkabi

HAHA.

I don't remember starting this thread at all.

Virtue...the name won't tie it in at all.

I guess they'll have to mention the hell out of Se7en in the promotion so people know.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.