XIXAX Film Forum

Music off the beaten path

putneyswipe · 6 · 2146

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
on: April 22, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
Can we have a thread where we share our latest internet/bandcamp/crate-digging musical finds? The music landscape is so vast nowadays so I'm sure all of us have albums/songs that are extremely unknown to others.

WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 07:15:44 PM
Dig the idea. I'll probably just keep making those types of posts on "Now Playing," cuz it's all gravy, while checking out anything added onto here ~

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:42 PM
Yeah forgot we had that thread. I was thinking a music equivalent to the "cult cinema" thread

WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:36:21 PM
Hmm, yeah, I feel ya.
This has got to be one of the peak findz for me back in HS, when I realized there was an avant garde past even Sonic Youth's Tremens or Beefheart, loops that are as much musical craft as technical experiment:

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:43:45 PM
https://open.spotify.com/album/3NZjvVRRGgsAKHkVZE1WVy?si=k9imx6CaQ6aMA7n43bgAog

Just found this 4-Hour comp of experimental Iranian noise/ambient sound art. Had no idea they had a thriving experimental music scene there. Dark, brooding, soundtrack-y vibes with some exotic flavor

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:06:58 PM

Moving from the other thread. Another recent discovery for me, Foresteppe, is a Russian ambient musician who makes folky, warm ambient soundscapes out of decayed tape loops of field recordings from his native siberia. This album blew me away.