XIXAX Film Forum

Unpopular PTA opinions

Drill · 81 · 3866

wilberfan

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 03:57:09 PM
This just brought something to mind.  I have literally watched every known PTA effort more than one time with ONE exeption:  Junun.   Not particularly because I found it boring (there were parts I found rather interesting--although don't ask me to name them now).

For the Uber-PTA fans here, are there ANY projects of his you've only seen once?  And/or have no interest in revisiting?  (We can make this a separate topic, if need be.)
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

jenkins

Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 03:57:32 PM
i think the way some people think about iv is how i think about the master. iím like: what are you talking about, what is doing it for you, and are you sure youíre sure. when i think of what there is to uncover and hear about what people have uncovered iím like: yeah you can have that, thatís yours.

idk man what sings to you sings to you

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 04:01:20 PM

Unpopular PTA opinions:
- Inherent Vice is a masterpiece
- I like Haim lmao

Ditto ~
My unpopular opinion I guess iz that Inherent Vice is his best film.

For the Uber-PTA fans here, are there ANY projects of his you've only seen once? 

Anima. Only seen it at that City Walk screening we went to ~
Meanwhile, Junun I put on quite often. Especially for friends that don't know PTA but dig Radiohead.

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 04:15:18 PM
I don't know about best but I think The Master is his most honest film. It's no coincidence that it's his follow-up to TWBB, which tops best of the century lists, when he became the "best of his generation" for a lot of people. I view it as a very personal, self-critical work, him wondering if he's worthy of the plaudits he receives, "maybe I'm just a fraud?", etc.

Magnolia IMO is his most dishonest. It's very earnest and entertaining but it's also full of shit. It goes back to the Fiona relationship. I get why people love it passionately, but it's obvious why he's kind of embarrassed by it now.

jenkins

Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 04:18:44 PM
yeah i mean iv kills it imo. people are like oh the narrative but what about the narrative they want to grasp the narrative. first of all i think itís a rather coherent narrative it just lacks the emotional arcs and whatnot. second of all the narrative is shaped like a city and that is scrumptious

Drenk

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 04:25:57 PM
Waterston is bad in IV. Especially when the VO says that Doc couldn't read her complex expression and she comically sobs.
Ascension.

jenkins

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 04:33:49 PM
the movie itself is the performance

Drenk

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 04:38:32 PM
Well, I love the movie. But that first scene should be great and it's always very awkward to watch for me. But I admit that I find her all right in her other big scene.
Ascension.

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 04:45:03 PM
Waterston is bad in IV. Especially when the VO says that Doc couldn't read her complex expression and she comically sobs.

And "hair a lot shorter than he remembered" and she walks in with long hair. Not important, but weird to leave that in.

eward

Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 04:59:27 PM
That opening scene is mesmerizing. Shorter but still long hair, heavy combination of face ingredients, Thinking comes later... What else?

second of all the narrative is shaped like a city...

Lovely.

Unpopular opinion: DDL in Phantom Thread>DDL in TWBB
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Freddie Dodd

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 05:07:45 PM
Paul Dano somewhat boggles TWBB down a notch for me. I can't decide if it's just his performance or DDL chewing up the scenery that makes his performance not measure up to the quality of the film.

Magnolia is a self-indulgent mess that should be shy away from. It's a film of what not to do as an ambitious young filmmaker.

eward

Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 05:10:54 PM
It's a film of what not to do as an ambitious young filmmaker.

SCORCHING hot take
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Freddie Dodd

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 05:37:37 PM
The film has surfaced a backlash enough that I don't think it counts as that edgy of a hot take. It just doesn't hold up very well to repeat viewings.

wilberfan

Reply #43 on: March 04, 2020, 05:41:40 PM
And I like it more every time I see it.  :ponder:
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 05:52:45 PM
I think itís aged beautifully, warts, pockmarks, and all. Where is this backlash coming from?
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g