What Films Are We Watching?

Started by Something Spanish, March 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

wilberfan

I watched them both as well.   I think I preferred the Hulu doc, but I agree that watching both gives you a fuller picture of what went down.  (I didn't know about the FuckJerry connection to the Netflix doc when I watched it.  Bad form, indeed, to not point that out.)

polkablues

Ethical faceplants aside (what do you expect from a media company built on stealing other people's creative works), I strongly preferred the Netflix doc over the Hulu one. I found myself less interested in the cultural contextualization that the Hulu version was obsessed with and more interested in watching these hubristic slapdicks step on a rake over and over. But I agree, it's worth it to watch both, which is an insane thing I never imagined I would say when I first heard that there were two competing documentaries about the fucking Fyre Festival.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Thank you, Polka, for recommending me Coherence. It was absolutely fantastic considering its budget.

Alethia

Attended the all-day Jeff Goldblum Mystery Movie Marathon at The Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn!

Four movies - two of which I'd never seen, and one of which I'd not seen since I was quite young! All on 35mm (spotted Alex Ross Perry in the crowd, as I frequently do at screenings round here).

First up, Earth Girls Are Easy - this was not nearly as bad as Leonard Maltin's guide led me to believe as a kid. A bit long, perhaps, but goodnaturedly silly with some solid laughs throughout and lots of great early Jim Carrey-Marlon Wayans In Living Color-esque alien antics. Strangely recommended.

The Fly - hadn't seen in years so this was largely like a first watch for me. Classic Cronenberg stuff, really disgusting (ate pizza during some of it, not recommended) and of course tragic. And damn Goldblum's got a torso on him! Recommended but I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted.

Into the Night - This mostly bored me, but it had a lot of cool director cameos. And young Michelle Pfeiffer! (Better off just watching Married to the Mob though, to be frank). Oddly flat Goldblum performance here. Skippable.

and lastly

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - not my preferred installment by a long shot but certainly the best of the sequels. And honestly, for about an hour and ten minutes it's pretty good! But fuck fuck fuck some of it is JUST. SO. DUMB. I get why they chose this instead of JP1, Goldblum being the lead and all, but every one of his iconic Ian Malcolm moments are from the original. Who fucking quotes The Lost World? Don't know if any of y'all have ever read the book, but the movie bears very little resemblance to it, and much to its detriment. The material in the book would have made a far better film; the one we got is mostly a collection of strung-together set pieces that didn't make the first one. Was surprised to remember this is actually one of John Williams' better scores too. Mostly Recommended, but really we all know Jurassic Park remains king.

Well, that was fun! We even got Goldbling!

Robyn

Very jealous of that bling! lol.

The Fly is the greatest body horror film of all time... okay, not really, but almost.

Robyn

The Vanishing of Sidney Hall
This film was far from perfect, but it struck a chord with me and kind of made me lose my shit about halfway through it. Kind of sloppy and pretentious in a way, but every time my mind started to go "this isn't really as good as I feel it is" there was a moment or a scene that overwhelmed me with emotions again and made me forget about all of its flaws. Still kind of shocked from the experience, because I wasn't really expecting it to be one of those films...

polkablues

Quote from: Robyn on January 25, 2019, 05:52:46 PM
Thank you, Polka, for recommending me Coherence. It was absolutely fantastic considering its budget.

I'm glad you liked it! I thought of another underseen recent film that I hadn't mentioned before: Honeymoon. Tonally similar to Coherence, and absolutely gutting.

Robyn

Quote from: polkablues on January 29, 2019, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: Robyn on January 25, 2019, 05:52:46 PM

I'm glad you liked it! I thought of another underseen recent film that I hadn't mentioned before: Honeymoon. Tonally similar to Coherence, and absolutely gutting.

I will watch that as well for sure.

Realized earlier today that I have seen 27 films in the last 15 days, so I am basically just watching everything that looks interesting at the moment. Most of them are obvious ones, but one I recommend is Personal Shopper... no wait, nevermind, I just checked letterboxd and everyone I follow from here have already seen it, haha.

polkablues

I haven't seen it yet, but I will. I'm running about three years behind on getting caught up with movies I want to watch.

Alethia

Personal Shopper is one of my very favorites from the last few years. The Criterion Blu is well-worth a blind buy. Olivier Assayas is an extremely interesting filmmaker. Saw an older film of his on a whim last year called Clean - I knew nothing about it, other than that Nick Nolte was in it, and it was an emotional firestorm that left me gutted.

WorldForgot

Personal Shopper enters my mind all the time.

Irma Vep -- that's also where it's at

Alethia

That's one of the coolest trailers I've ever seen! And that's the same actress from Clean! Maggie Cheung, his wife at the time, I believe. Definitely checking that out soon.

Jeremy Blackman

Fyre Festival Was a Huge Scam. Is Netflix's Fyre Documentary a Scam, Too?

The festival's marketing agency also co-produced the film, resulting in a misleading version of who bears responsibility for the fraud.

https://newrepublic.com/article/153095/fyre-festival-huge-scam-netflixs-fyre-documentary-scam-too

Something Spanish

Went for The Limey over a two night period, having not seen it since theatrical release, when I was too green to appreciate it. Damn if that doesn't deserve a slot among 99's best. As refreshing a rinse to the revenge genre as one can hope for, Soderbergh's use of experimental editing techniques and new ways of depicting scenes we've seen hundreds of times before contribute to the sheer entertainment factor of this terse, even slightly emotional, thriller. Stamp, as the mean limey bastard, rocks hard. The footage used from Loach's Poor Cow, where Stamp was 30 years younger, have an overwhelming effect when woven into the story. Incredulously, I slept on this one for almost 20 years, shrugging the movie off as an undercooked potboiler. Soderbergh's tampering with conventions is rarely a misfire, in fact, I can't think of single one of his I dislike, having seen about all if them. Peter Fonda's presence serves as an appropriate reminder of that yearning for a bygone era, here it's the 60's, when everything changed, felt meaningful. The Limey is tinged with these reminisces,  even the driving force of seeking answers to Stamp's daughters death has an unaddressed wonder of lost youth, an attempt to reclaim the past. Criterion needs to get on this one.

Alethia

Yeah man, I've long been a fan of this one! Sod's output between Sex Lies and Erin Brok/Traffic is sadly under-appreciated. So many great little character moments sprinkled throughout (especially with Luis Guzman and Nicky Katt). "You tell him, you tell him I'm coming. Tell him I'm fucking comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!" Good shit.