girl walk//all day

Started by samsong, January 29, 2013, 03:09:19 AM

samsong

y'all should check this out.  it's essentially a feature length music video for the girl talk album all day,  as well as a love letter to new york and a fluid, kinetic dance movie.  i promise it's more gratifying than it sounds.  found it to be disarmingly fun and it made me incredibly happy.  an instant favorite.

http://girlwalkallday.com/watch-the-film

Just Withnail

Yes! I just saw this last week. The girl is just impossibly charismatic, the "creep" and the other guy, not so much. The girl could've been silent movie superstar.

jenkins

samsong

she reminded me of giulietta masina.  with a much nicer ass.

jenkins

can this be a "video of people dancing" thread, or is that crazy. doesn't seem xrazy

Pubrick

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 29, 2013, 06:13:37 PM
can this be a "video of people dancing" thread,

no.

we don't need a thread for that.

re: the girl talk vid. i saw the first 8 mins and i'm underwhelmed. the dancing is not that interesting or competent, half the time she's just jumping around without any purpose or grace and the shots of new york are just standard tourist grabs. the integration into real life is also at times downright cringey. i agree the girl is adorbs so i'll check out the rest later, but at this point i wouldn't recommend this to my friends.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

dang

she's being compared to a silent movie superstar and giulietta masina because she has a really expressive face that's always interesting. sometimes more than the dancing. and sometimes the dancing is good

samsong

i hadn't heard of/listened to the girl talk album so a lot of pleasure was derived from the constant barrage of samples and mostly ingenious mash-ups.  her dancing for me is more compelling as an act of exuberance than technique.  at the end of the day it's just people in motion set to music, done with such zeal and optimism that it made me genuinely happy.  its amateur charm, the look on peoples' faces, imaging what it must've been like making this, the sustained energy, it all makes for a lot of fun.  it's certainly a potent anti-depressant.

wilder

Quote from: samsong on January 30, 2013, 01:24:55 AM
i hadn't heard of/listened to the girl talk album so a lot of pleasure was derived from the constant barrage of samples and mostly ingenious mash-ups.  her dancing for me is more compelling as an act of exuberance than technique. it's certainly a potent anti-depressant.

x100

Pubrick

that explains it, the album's been out forever and he's been releasing the same thing every couple of years for the past decade. the schtick is getting old, so i assumed the music wasn't the point. as a non johnny-come-lately i was really expecting the charm to come from the actual video not just the music, which i'll admit is fun if you've never heard of it before.
under the paving stones.