A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III

Started by MacGuffin, November 30, 2012, 06:19:44 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: February 2013

Starring: Charlie Sheen, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Katheryn Winnick, Patricia Arquette, Aubrey Plaza, Dermot Mulroney, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Directed by: Roman Coppola

Premise: A graphic designer's enviable life slides into despair when his girlfriend breaks up with him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Looks fantastic.  Thank God they still make movies with a sense of humor.

Champion Souza

Robyn

jenkins

dug it bunches. roman went fullout kidincandystore, lots of energy, fun. 10000000 little ideas, treasures. slick narrative structure. as my friend said "ooh, I guess I like Charlie sheen."

Saw it vod. Is this not going theatrical? ftw

MacGuffin

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 19, 2013, 02:53:43 PM
Saw it vod. Is this not going theatrical? ftw

The comedy is currently available on VOD formats before its theatrical debut February 8.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

there is this little subgenre of edgy films that are contingent on the images of the stars and kinda lovingly justify their more controversial behaviors. Eminem in 8 Mile, van damme in JCVD, and now this film...does anyone know what I'm talking about?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

yeah. rich history of this right, who are the movie scholars here. feel like clara bow in it is an example, furthest back i can go. happens in other media as well, like literature, like lord byron, philip roth. motivation related to pop arts and public perception, but you know, the piece has to stand on its own eventually.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: pete on January 20, 2013, 02:34:15 PM
there is this little subgenre of edgy films that are contingent on the images of the stars and kinda lovingly justify their more controversial behaviors. Eminem in 8 Mile, van damme in JCVD, and now this film...does anyone know what I'm talking about?

that's an interesting pattern emerging

wasn't there a movie in the 70s starring Betty Ting Pei who was with Bruce Lee when he died in an attempt to bank off her image, or try to clean it up or something?

yep. found it.     
They were tryin' to pull that shit as early as '75.

polkablues

On a micro-level, we can include Chuck Norris making a Chuck Norris Facts joke in Expendables 2.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Do you think 'I'm Still Here' falls into this category?  I feel like after everyone was duped into thinking Guac was drugged out and realized it was joke, he's kind of been let off the hook with all these sketchy public appearances just leave people thinking "oh, he's doing another character! genius."

tpfkabi

I really enjoyed this film. I'm not surprised that the general public didn't get it - look at Redbox reviews for a laugh - but I am surprised that hardly any critics liked it. It uses the 'seemless' daydream technique of 8 1/2 where there is no cliche signifier a la' wavy lines to tip to the audience that a daydream is happening. So you see a lot of reviews that say something to the effect of it just being a collection of scenes thrown together.

It's crazy how much Liam Hayes sings and writes songs like Jon Brion. It appears that he started in the early 90's, too, so it's not like he's influenced by JB. I kinda put Michael Penn in the same area, so at first I thought it might be him. I will probably have to look into Hayes' discography.

I would love an entire movie of the SSBB with Katheryn Winnick and Mary E Winstead, though I don't know how one would make a full length picture out of it. I guess not enough young hipster women have seen the movie to latch on to SSBB. Who knows, maybe you will see some SSBB costumes come Halloween. That wouldn't be so bad.  :yabbse-grin: Katheryn Winnick looks stunning in this movie.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.