Stoker

Started by MacGuffin, September 26, 2012, 05:09:37 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: March 1, 2013

Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Goode, Dermot Mulroney

Directed by: Chan-wook Park

Premise: After India's father dies, her Uncle Charlie, who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother. She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Based on that trailer, this could either be amazing or terrible. Or just all right, I suppose. At any rate, it will definitely be some sort of movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

And it's written by Wentworth Miller.
Ascension.

polkablues

The Prison Break guy? Sold.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kellen

reviews coming out now:

3/10 (Russ Fisher, /Film)

D- (Rodrigo Perez, Playlist)

B+ (Eric Kohn, IndieWire)

Variety (Guy Lodge)

HeywoodRFloyd

Anyone else notice Harmony Korine playing the art teacher?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Neil

I'm tossing this in the DVD player now.   maybe i can get some conversation rollin' here about it.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Mel

Did see this quite some time. I still remember some shots - Stoker looks wonderful. It has nice build-up, but then it lands flat and there is no real payoff. Not sure what is the problem. Uncle's backstory didn't work for me at all and that mixed with anti-climatic standoff, left me with a hunger. I also find flash-forward from the begining of the film unesessary.

Execution: performance, music, cinematography is there, just doesn't translate to film, which I would like to see again. Issues where inherited from script - that is my call, not much else to say.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...