Oz: The Great and Powerful

Started by MacGuffin, July 12, 2012, 06:07:17 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: March 8, 2013

Starring: James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis

Directed by: Sam Raimi

Premise: A prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz that tells how the Wizard arrived in Oz became the ruler.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Mila Kunis and James Franco are in everything.

Pozer

Pubrick

That poster is totally Peter Jackson.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Pubrick on July 13, 2012, 12:26:26 AM
That poster is totally Peter Jackson.

But at least he's managed to retain some of his gritty asthetic (and somewhat believable physics). That's what keeps him from becoming a part of Stim Burtam Gillraimiam.

RegularKarate

Wait, remind me why we don't like Sam Raimi anymore?

Reel

something went wrong with Spidey 3, but I got no qualms with him otherwise.

Just Withnail

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 13, 2012, 10:18:07 AM

Speaking for myself, the look of the trailer, that makes this movie look exactly like Doctor Parnassus and Burton's Alice.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Just Withnail on July 13, 2012, 11:42:45 AM

Speaking for myself, the look of the trailer, that makes this movie look exactly like Doctor Parnassus and Burton's Alice.

Okay, so you're jumping to conclusions about a director who has made more great films than bad based on seeing a teaser trailer with unfinished CG. Got it.

Just Withnail

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 13, 2012, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: Just Withnail on July 13, 2012, 11:42:45 AM

Okay, so you're jumping to conclusions about a director who has made more great films than bad based on seeing a teaser trailer with unfinished CG. Got it.

Well sure, jumping a bit maybe, but I'm let down that his aesthetic looks more like something "from the producer of Alice in Wonderland" than the director of many great films. But then again it was probably naive to think he'd continue to be gritty on such a big project. And I guess I let you put words in my mouth when you said "not liking", as I was only commenting on how three recent movies from once highly idiosyncratic directors now seem to look sadly similar.

RegularKarate

I get what you're saying. They do look similar (Though I'll remain hopeful for the time being).
I thought you were saying that he was on the level of Burton and Gilliam based on this one teaser.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks