Great Directors

Started by ono, June 30, 2012, 12:27:10 PM

ono

So yeah, I was just browsing around on Netflix and was surprised this hasn't received a mention here (did I overlook it?).  It's a documentary directed by some woman I'd never heard of (Angela Ismailos), but focusing some rather high profile directors, not the least of which includes David Lynch (and John Sayles, Catherine Breillat, Bernardo Bertolucci, and six other international directors, including Liliana Cavani, Stephen Frears, Todd Haynes, and Richard Linklater).  I've just added it to my Netflix instant queue (how I love that thing) and will get back later with thoughts.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Great_Directors/70126500

chere mill

it's pretty good. honestly, the extended interviews (some of which are up to an hour) on the dvd extras are probably more revealing of the directors than the film, which is more scattershot. the film gives you a little bit of everything, particularly the directors discussing the important parts of their careers, but nothing incredibly in-depth. ismailos has an unfortunate tendency to pose for the camera, inserting shots of herself in elegant compositions as if she's modeling for her own movie. you wanna tell her to get off the screen, and get back to interviewing todd haynes! but it's definitely worth a look.

ono

So I finished this.  The complaints that the filmmaker puts too much of herself into this: well, it didn't bother me too much.  But then again, maybe that's because I wasn't nearly interested in Haynes as you were.  Glad I watched it.  Lynch says more about his films than he'd every say anywhere else by not saying much of anything at all.  The editing, tying in his thoughts to one particular segment of 2001 was so apt -- how you can't put a name to a feeling, but that's what cinema allows you to do.  It's an idea expressed many places elsewhere, sure, but it is so invigorating seeing him articulate it.  Loved getting to sit down with Bertolucci.  There's just something about him.  He's over 70 now.  Doesn't seem that old, but then again, he's been around and around.  A real gentleman's man, so incredibly knowledgeable.  The grandfather I'd want to have.  Those were the most interesting segments to me.  Breillat's were okay, as were Haynes'.  Blink and you'll miss Sayles, though.  Whoo.