God Bless America

Started by MacGuffin, May 31, 2012, 03:01:57 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: May 31, 2012

Starring: Joel Murray, Tara Lynne Barr, Mackenzie Brooke Smith, Melinda Page Hamilton

Directed by: Bobcat Goldthwait

Premise: On a mission to rid society of its most repellent citizens, terminally ill Frank makes an unlikely accomplice in 16-year-old Roxy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

It was Amaturishly Great, with a both capital A and G
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pwaybloe

Lots of people pointing guns in random directions?

Pubrick

Quote from: Pwaybloe on June 01, 2012, 10:04:58 AM

Seems like the perfect metaphor for America.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

Quote from: Pubrick on June 01, 2012, 09:22:35 PM
Quote from: Pwaybloe on June 01, 2012, 10:04:58 AM

Seems like the perfect metaphor for America.

Nailed It.

Reel

begins in my hometown of Syracuse! Wish they would've focused on knocking off more people here, but then it'd be like Bobcat's making a statement of "I'm killing off my past," sounds more like a movie I'll make one day.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Reelist on June 02, 2012, 10:42:38 AM
begins in my hometown of Syracuse! Wish they would've focused on knocking off more people here, but then it'd be like Bobcat's making a statement of "I'm killing off my past," sounds more like a movie I'll make one day.

I know this is just a stupid trailer, but the message I'm getting is "you annoy me, so I am going to shoot and kill you".  That sounds like a premise written by a 14-year old high school kid.  I suppose as I get a little older I don't find much humor in violence anymore.  This trailer appears to glorify it, which is characteristically typical of the demographic I'm guessing they're going after. 

Reelist, judging from your comment about the spoilers in "Seven" and your Tarantino avatar, I'm guessing you're fairly young.  Please don't take this as an insult, but I'm guessing this premise appeals to you.  Do you agree?

Reel

yeah, I'm young as in I'm immature. but at 23, I'm no spring chicken. Yes, this premise appeals to me and I forked over $10, but I just have undying loyalty to Bobcat, the only filmmaker I know from my town. I'll always come down on the side that's for rather than against him, but I still had problems with this film. The killing gets pretty tedious after awhile, I preferred hearing the two characters go on rants, but that could go on  forever if they didn't give them something to do. I think the real issue I had with it was the gun violence, it becomes old hat. If they really wanted to do something shocking, why not torture their victims into changing their ways instead of just killing them? That's a movie I'd be much more interested in seeing, but I liked it anyway. All of Bobcat's films kind of have to grow on you, at least in my experience.

pete

isn't killing people you don't like the premise for every other horror film? The only difference seems to be that because this was directed by a comedian, the satire's slightly more on-point than just a bunch of teenagers.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

Reelist, thanks for the reply.

Quote from: pete on June 02, 2012, 07:02:36 PM
isn't killing people you don't like the premise for every other horror film? The only difference seems to be that because this was directed by a comedian, the satire's slightly more on-point than just a bunch of teenagers.

Pete, I'm not really sure who you are directing this comment, nor am I clear on what exactly you're trying to say, but I'll roll with it.  I'm not a horror movie fan, and I never have been.  I think your comparison to horror movies and satire is very valid, but I don't think it makes a difference if it was directed by a comedian.  Just like a horror film, this trailer glorifies and makes violence humorous.  That's great for some people, but it's just not for me. 

SiliasRuby

I absolutely adored this film. It was everything I expected and more. I wouldn't consider it a straight up horror as I don't think many other people call it to be that either but i couldn't over how fantastically dark this piece of celuloid was...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection