Frankenweenie

Started by MacGuffin, March 01, 2012, 07:00:55 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: Oct. 5, 2012

Starring: Winona Ryder, Martin Landau, Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, Charlie Tahan

Directed by: Tim Burton

Premise: After unexpectedly losing his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life -- with just a few minor adjustments.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Looks good, but can it really best this?

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alexandro

I hope it does. To be honest I admire the original more than love it. The flavor, that 80's indie vibe will be impossible to repeat. The new one looks surprisingly good. I only wish the hero  had a different look than the one in Corpse Bride. One of the things I love the most about Nightmare Before Christmas is how unique the look is, even within the Burton universe. The characters designs on this one look all a little too familiar.

Also, it's neat that there will be a black & white animated mainstream film.

polkablues

Quote from: Alexandro on June 27, 2012, 12:34:51 AM
I only wish the hero  had a different look than the one in Corpse Bride. One of the things I love the most about Nightmare Before Christmas is how unique the look is, even within the Burton universe. The characters designs on this one look all a little too familiar.

Not only is the kid a rehash of Johnny Depp's Corpse Bride character, the dog design is a complete rehash of "Family Dog."

Basically, Tim Burton hasn't had an original thought go through his head in a good 18 years.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

This was pretty bad and depressing. I was mostly thinking in how sad it is that Tim Burton just can't make a goddamn good film anymore. The characters are boring, the humor is bland, and everything is stolen from another Burton film. The dog is completely uninteresting, and the "climax" is basically a remake of the Jack as Santa sequence in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Shit.