Side by Side - Documentary on the transition to digital filmmaking

Started by wilder, January 18, 2012, 07:32:02 PM

wilder

The documentary investigates the history, process and workflow of both digital and photochemical film creation. We show what artists and filmmakers have been able to accomplish with both film and digital and how their needs and innovations have helped push filmmaking in new directions. Interviews with directors, cinematographers, colorists, scientists, engineers and artists reveal their experiences and feelings about working with film and digital--where we are now, how we got here and what the future may bring.

Directed by Christopher Kenneally
Interviewees include David Fincher, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, James Cameron, Richard Linklater, Vittorio Storaro, Vilmos Zsigmond, Michael Balhaus and more
Official Site
IMDB
Trailer
Release Date - VOD on August 21, 2012

Cloudy

Pubrick

I wish PTA would get involved in this debate.

I get that he's trying to be the silent sensei, teaching by example and saying little else, but he can't let this ship sink without a fight, surely.

At least on the artistic side of things his movies make the best case for film right now, but on the other hand, it makes sense to send the big shots like Christopher Nolan to the front line .. the debate is a question of money after all, and he more than anyone right now can claim that it's still possible to turn a profit with film.

WWKD?
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on August 22, 2012, 06:16:07 PM
I wish PTA would get involved in this debate.

I get that he's trying to be the silent sensei, teaching by example and saying little else, but he can't let this ship sink without a fight, surely.

At least on the artistic side of things his movies make the best case for film right now, but on the other hand, it makes sense to send the big shots like Christopher Nolan to the front line .. the debate is a question of money after all, and he more than anyone right now can claim that it's still possible to turn a profit with film.

I could only find from 1999, in which PTA talks about digital. Even with all the advancements since then, nothing beats film.

InTylerWeTrust

Tarantino is another guy who makes a great case as to why use film as opposed to Digital.

Specially when he explains what ""the magic of movies" is... So. Damn. True.

35mm is Magic   :yabbse-thumbup:.... Digital is simply real life   :yabbse-thumbdown:...
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Pubrick

Haha that old guy's reaction is priceless, he looks like he's drooling at one point.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

With digital you're still seeing a series of still images. That has nothing do with film or digital. I kind of hate the vague talk about the "magic of movies" when talking about film vs. digital because there are real reasons why film is preferable. Better color, better latitude, more longevity, etc. It isn't luddism or dreamy nostalgia.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Ravi on August 22, 2012, 08:13:30 PM
It isn't luddism or dreamy nostalgia.

But there's also something "dreamy" that does disappear with digial: Sitting on the first row, close enough to see the abstract chemical dance that's going on, being hypnotized by grain.