The Mill and the Cross

Started by wilder, December 12, 2011, 05:42:58 AM

wilder

From acclaimed filmmaker, Lech Majewski, comes THE MILL AND THE CROSS, a visually inspired re-staging of Pieter Bruegel's epic 1564 painting ''Way to Calvary'', presented alongside the story of its creation -- with Rutger Hauer as Bruegel, Michael York as his friend and art collector, and Charlotte Rampling as the inspiration for his Virgin Mary.

Directed by Lech Majewski
Starring Rutger Hauer, Charlotte Rampling, and Michael York
IMDB
Trailer
Making Of
DVD and Blu-ray release on January 31, 2012

squints

that looks pretty fascinating.

I swear if it weren't for you wilderesque this place would be about 100x more boring.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Yes, but you have to admit it looks like they're LARPing in this one:

Quote from: wilderesque on December 12, 2011, 05:42:58 AM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Just Withnail

I don't know if it might have been sub-par digital projection, but this looked like absolute shit when I saw it. Like it was shot on DV. I couldn't really get into it at all. The LARP comment isn't far off actually. The entire thing had a very...silly vibe going through it, while being dead serious. Great concept, badly executed.

Reinhold

i saw a trailer for this projected on film and i thought it looked extremely weird... like, shitty effects weird. i assume the look was intentional to bring out more of a painting-coming-to-life feel but it was enough to make me not want to see the film.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Sleepless

Interesting idea, but the trailer really didn't excited me (although that's probably inevitable). It's weird - it seems like this should be a compelling art film about art but for whatever reason it just does quite work.

Perhaps they should have called it Chere Mill and the Cross
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I liked this better when Peter Greenaway did it.
My house, my rules, my coffee