Dark Shadows

Started by MacGuffin, September 14, 2011, 07:26:30 PM

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp In 'Dark Shadows' Set Pics (PHOTOS)
Source: Huffington Post

HIstorically, the teaming of Johnny Depp and ostentatious costuming has made for major success.

"Edward Scissorhands," his creepily sweet mad scientist creation, is now a cult classic. His Willy Wonka character helped "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" earn $474 million, while his four "Pirates of the Caribbean" films have earned nearly $3 billion and "Alice in Wonderland" topped a billion by itself.

This fall, Depp is dropping the makeup for "The Rum Diary," an adaptation of his friend Hunter S. Thompson's novel, but have no fear: freaky Depp is quickly coming back.

Amongst his plethora of upcoming projects is a big screen remake/adaptation of the late 60s/early 70s TV show "Dark Shadows," which will be directed by his frequent (and freaky) collaborator, Tim Burton. He'll play vampire Barnabas Collins, who helped make the show wildly popular and win its daytime TV slot often during its run, which ended in 1971.

Depp was captured on the set of the film by photographers, and early glimpses show that he's really going for the gold --and white makeup --in this one.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Release date: May 11, 2012

Starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Helena Bonham Carter

Directed by: Johnny Depp

Premise: A gothic-horror tale centering on the life of vampire Barnabas Collins and his run-ins with various monsters, witches, werewolves and ghosts. Based on the cult TV series.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Is that because Johnny Depp wears a fedora in the movie, too?

Anyway, I thought Dark Shadows was a moody soap opera.  Did it have intentional comic moments?

Ravi

Quote from: Pwaybloe on March 16, 2012, 07:58:57 AM
Anyway, I thought Dark Shadows was a moody soap opera.

In the loosest sense of the word "moody," yes. I've seen about 10 episodes and it takes forever for anything to happen. It moves at a snail's pace.

QuoteDid it have intentional comic moments?

Not that I know of. The trailer for the movie makes it look like an outright comedy, which is fine with me. It would be hard for me to take Dark Shadows utterly seriously. The show is fun to watch for the flubs and chintzy production values.

Pubrick

I don't know anything about this so from the trailer I gather the conflict of the story is Eva green wants to hook up with Johnny Depp and he's not interested.

Why doesn't he just do it? Is he an idiot? It's Eva fucking green.

I hate this movie already.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

This film was doomed from the beginning. The few people who are Dark Shadows fans would hate it, and nobody unfamiliar with the show would care about it. Johnny Depp's performance is the best part of the film. This is yet another Tim Burton film with Tim Burton being all Tim Burton-y.

Quote from: Pubrick on March 16, 2012, 03:51:51 PM
Why doesn't he just do it? Is he an idiot? It's Eva fucking green.

Something about a curse she put on him and- oh, who cares, it's a never-aging Eva Green!

The blue circles around his eyes must be to help the VFX people de-age him. I wondered why those were in the behind-the-scenes stills

SiliasRuby

Is it just me or does Depp look a little like 90's michael jackson?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Reel

No, you're definitely not alone on that one. And if you look back on Burton and Depp's collabos, you'll notice it's not the first time they've made him up to look like Jacko. I thought Scissorhands and Willy Wonka looked a lot like him too. It'd be a lot more interesting if they'd both break down and do the Michael Jackson biopic, something original for a change. They could do it, it'd be awesome! As it stands now, neither of them have done anything to captivate me since Sweeney Todd. ( I didn't see Rango )