The Descendants

Started by modage, May 25, 2011, 02:55:43 PM

modage

Director: Alexander Payne
Writers: Alexander Payne (screenplay), Nat Faxon (screenplay)
Stars: George Clooney, Judy Greer and Matthew Lillard
Storyline: A land baron tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a boating accident.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thedescendants/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

White people doing white people stuff. :bravo: Just like Sideways and About Schmidt.

Count me in. Alexander Payne is always good, sometimes great.

I bet Noah Baumbach watches Alexander Payne movies and gets so mad to see someone doing what he does, but 10x better.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

I'm normally all about A.Payne but I'm not sure I would have had any interest in this if I didn't know it was him. But it is, so I'm definitely seeing it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I often watch his "14e arrondissement" from Paris, Je T'Aime (along with the Assayas and Van Sant ones ... actually the Assayas one with Maggie Gyllenhaal way more).

This trailer isn't great but trailers are bad at capturing Payne's rhythms, and also his sincerity, because kind of by definition trailers are bad at sincerity.  So it's tough for his strengths to shine in his trailers.  But I also don't know why he went with George Clooney.  It seems too easy.  I'm curious to see how he's used.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

squints

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 25, 2011, 03:48:10 PM
I often watch his "14e arrondissement" from Paris, Je T'Aime

The best part of that movie and one of the best (if not the best) thing Payne has ever done.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: squints on May 25, 2011, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 25, 2011, 03:48:10 PM
I often watch his "14e arrondissement" from Paris, Je T'Aime

The best part of that movie and one of the best (if not the best) thing Payne has ever done.

Margo Martindale as Carol was great casting.  She has so many endearing moments ... asking the lady where to eat in French, to practice, but the French lady speaking back in English, and the little face of disappointment Carol makes for a tiny moment ... trying to pop her ears in the elevator ... and the final moment with her on the bench in the park with the pond in front of her.  She eats a sandwich and looks around the park, seeing kids play, elderly couples together on benches, people spread out on the lawn, she's seeing all this and says "It was like remembering something I'd never known before or had always been waiting for, but I didn't know what."  Payne pushes in for a close up:  "Maybe it was something I'd forgotten or something I've been missing all my life.  All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness.  But not too much sadness because I felt alive.  Yes, alive."  Payne pans out over the pond, a few city buildings in the background, and Carol ends, "That was the moment I fell in love with Paris.  And I felt Paris fall in love with me."  So good.

Whenever I see Martindale I think of her as Carol, for example Carol, the Denver mail carrier, is the mother's lawyer in Win Win.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

pete

HAVE YOU SEEN JUSTIFIED SEASON 2?!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I haven't seen season one for that matter.  But you definitely make me want to.

Stefen

pete's been trying to do for Justified what samsong did for Certified Copy, but it's just not working!

I've heard a lot of good things about Justified.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

you fuckholes
Margot Martindale does one of the best villains ever in Justified season 2
and no Stefen
Ping Pong would always be my Certified Copy
which I'd been pushing since 2003
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

HA Margo Martindale plays the villain?  I'm officially dying to see this.  I bet it just aired.  I'm going to have to wait.

Pubrick

Tagline for that poster should be:

"He's going to bang them."
under the paving stones.

Reel

those are his daughters u creep!

but I know what ur saying, he shouldn't be lookin at 'em like that

picolas

damn this looks kinda Schimdty.. probably a bad trailer. i could see that final shot with his head in the bushes being hilarious in context.

Pas

I read quickly and saw that the writer is Nat Faxon but I read Fat Nixon and thought it was a film about George Clooney singing jazz.  :doh:

What's a land baron? A guy who owns a shit load of land I guess? I prefer other barons like Robber Barons, Railroad Barons and Red Barons.