Drive

Started by wilder, May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 PM

wilder

A Hollywood stunt performer who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong.

Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Release Date: September 16, 2011
IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504

Clip 1 - http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/mediaPlayer/10934.html
Clip 2 - http://tinyurl.com/6xgaret

Boom.

modage

Hated Bronson but I'm really hoping this will be awesome. Love the cast.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: wilderesque on May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 PM
A Hollywood stunt performer who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong.

BEST. PLOT. EVER.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Yeah I love the feel of those clips.

Also Carey mulligan feels like Michelle Williams.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

^exactly THIS. love the feel and pretty sure they said to Mulligan "can you Michelliams it up for this?" i'm already convinced and just Netflixed pretty much everything by Nicolas Winding Refn thanks to wilderesque's input in the director's thread.

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick on May 17, 2011, 10:48:28 PMAlso Carey mulligan feels like Michelle Williams.

I'm okay with that. The only actress better than Carey Mulligan right now is Michelle Williams.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

This looks so so good.

cronopio 2

Bronson was only a showcase for the greatness of Tom Hardy, but this looks interesting.

RegularKarate

Love the first clip.  Not so big on the second.  It depends on context, but it looks pretty forced and cliche to me.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 18, 2011, 04:40:01 PM
Not so big on the second.  It depends on context, but it looks pretty forced and cliche to me.

good point.. yes it could easily have a drum heavy 80s ballad over it as they drive off into the sunset, but i'm thinking at that point he might already be on the lam so it's a bittersweet  moment of near-connection and if he's not, it's the calm before the awesome climax where ---

hang on..

Quote from: Stefen on May 17, 2011, 10:43:56 PM
Quote from: wilderesque on May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 PM

BEST. PLOT. EVER.

isn't this pretty much the plot of the fast and furious movies? no wonder everyone pre-loves this.
under the paving stones.

modage

Good news (if trusting other people's collective opinions on things qualify as news):

Rope of Silicon:
'Drive' was a great way to end my time here in Cannes, really enjoyed and fans of Refn are in for a treat. #Cannes

Gemko:
Let's see if I can be the first person in your feed to say: DRIVE, holy shit.
Drive (Winding Refn): 76. Patchy and shallow, but the highs are just insanely high. Half a dozen of the year's best scenes. Genre bliss.
And it's not THE DRIVER II, either. Surprisingly little auto action. It should really be called LOOK given how predicated it is on faces.

James Rocchi:
That imaginary universe where Michael Mann directs '80s adaptations of '60s Richard Stark novels? I was just there. It's called DRIVE.

EricKohn (Indiewire):
Walking out of DRIVE, feeling kinda wobbly. In a good way. #cannes

First Showing:
Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive - Totally frickin' awesome. Violent, but badass, great soundtrack. Ryan Gosling is the man. Loved it, new fave.
I've complained about Refn before, but this is his best movie hands down. May be a cult classic hit. Damn I want to see it again right now.

Hollywood Elsewhere:
"Drive" isn't as good as " Thief," but it's respectably and sometimes very thrillingly in the same ballpark.  Spare, hard, very high octane.
All stand back & admire Albert Brooks for his older, smart-mouthed tough guy with a toupee in "Drive"...yay, Albert!
Ryan Gosling's hard-guy, Steve McQueen character in "Drive," but what there is he plays the he'll put of.  His first action film...wham!

LATimes:
Gosling's Drive a violent Scandinavian mood piece w/US stars/setting. Feels like seminal moment in Cannes edginess.

PeterHowellFilm:
Drive: Wham, bam, thank you, man! Ryan Gosling rocks like a young De Niro. #Cannes

eug:
Based on early tweets & buzz in the lobby now, I am entirely in the minority on DRIVE in #Cannes. Everyone seems to adore it! Not me.

cobbliehillis:
Counted at least 4 subtle references to TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., down to the '80s cursive font. No Wang Chung, though. #Drive #Cannes

TotalFilm:
Drive: Ryan Gosling smoulders in a throw back crime thriller, part Michael Mann's Thief, part Walter Hill's Driver, all awesome! #cannes
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Refn has quickly emerged as one of my favorite filmmakers. I loved Bronson (why all the hate?), and Valhalla was the perfect companion piece. I watched both over a two week break last winter, and I felt revitalized. I've been looking forward to Drive ever since it was first announced, and I'm glad to read the great twee-views.
Can't wait to see it, and whatever else follows.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pozer

in Bronson that last scene of him taking on charging brigade in the art room was the teets though. all slo-moey and Clockwork Orangey. the film had its moments. officially anticipating Hardy as Bane now!   

awaiting Pushers. started Valhalla last night but the wiff made me shut it off. have to sneak it in sometime when she retires to her chambers. love the look of it thus far.

shadow_hippie

Anyone have this script? I'd love to read it if anyone wants to send it my way, I'd be eternally grateful  :yabbse-grin:
There Will Be Bastardo

Stefen