Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

MacGuffin

Uma Thurman Confirms Quentin Tarantino's Next Picture Is The "Southern"
Source: The Playlist

Next 'Kill Bill' Film Is "Down The Road" For a director known for his lengthy dialogue, Quentin Tarantino sure has been keeping quiet recently. Though he's currently writing the screenplay for what will become the directors 8th film (or 7th, if you count the "Kill Bill" series as one, as originally intended), details have so far been hard to come by. The first murmur of news came about a month ago when Italian actor Franco Nero said Tarantino was involved with a spaghetti western called "The Angel, The Bad And The Wise" but was revealed shortly thereafter this was probably not a directorial project for him. AICN's sources confirmed that Tarantino's next film would be a spaghetti western, Christoph Waltz would be starring and the title Nero mentioned was not even close. Speculation then turned to the slavery-era Texas Western he had talked up during the "Inglourious Basterds" press rounds. Tarantino said at the time, "I'd like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let's shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure. A spaghetti Western that takes place during that time. And I would call it 'A Southern'" Deadline caught up with the director at The Weinstein Company's Oscar party who confirmed he'd completed a draft of a script for his Western and would probably finish a final version within a few months. Unlike his epic screenplays for "Inglorious Basterds" and "Kill Bill" this one had "just flowed out of him," and he expected production (set up at The Weinstein Co.) to start shortly after finishing the script. It was not, however, confirmed that this Western would be the same 'Southern' he had mentioned in several interviews years earlier. Hollywood Outbreak caught up with actress and Tarantino muse Uma Thurman doing press rounds for her new film "Ceremony" and when asked about the possibility of a third "Kill Bill" installment, she offered the following news. "I think he has a script ready to start of a new film, 'A Southern', I think it's really exciting. It's another new story and a fresh piece of material that he is channeling at the moment. So I think 'Kill Bill' lives down the road." So, fantastic news. This appears to be the first somewhat official confirmation that this is indeed the slavery-epic he'd been working on. In 2007 he told the British press of the early gestation of the project, "I want to explore something that really hasn't been done," he said at the time. "I want to do movies that deal with America's horrible past with slavery and stuff but do them like spaghetti westerns, not like big issue movies. I want to do them like they're genre films, but they deal with everything that America has never dealt with because it's ashamed of it, and other countries don't really deal with because they don't feel they have the right to." As for a third "Kill Bill," we could take it or leave it but news of an original film from the visionary filmmaker leaves us incredibly excited. Meanwhile, "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair," Tarantino's long-promised full cut of the film(s), premieres tonight at the New Beverly in LA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Haha, it's still cool you write for The Playlist.

Reel

it'll never not be cool. Thanks Mod/Mac for that info, it's great news! Sounds like its gonna be epic.

squints

i'm more excited for the fact that mod wrote that than i am for the possibility (unlikelihood) that this movie ever gets made.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Marty McSuperfly

According to a poster on Hollywood Elsewhere, Tarantino's Southern is called Django Unchained.

He writes: As someone who has actually read Tarantino's latest script - and no I can't forward it to anyone, it'll get out there pretty soon anyway and I ain't about to scan 166 pages of script because I'm sitting on a hard copy - I can tell you that most of you are just shooting from the hip. DJANGO is fucking awesome and it's a script that only QT could have written... and I actually think it's one of his most personal scripts to date.

First off, this thing is going to be controversial with a capital C. The title character Django is a freed slave, who under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christophe Waltz) becomes a badass bounty hunter himself and after assisting Waltz on taking down some bad guys for profit, is in turn assisted by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn't even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I've rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it's 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglourious and you'll get a sense of what he's doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one. It's violent and funny and full of great Tarantino monologues and shoot outs (and slave rapes and slave tortures) and the center piece of the script is this fantastic relationship between Django and his Obi-Wan Waltz and it all just fucking works in the way only Tarantino makes it work. If you're a QT hater this script won't convert you. If you're a fan, you'll be onboard for the entire ride and you'll love every fucking second of it. I cannot wait to see the finished movie. It's going to shock and offend and drive people nuts when they see this thing. Detractors are going to find a thousand reference points from previous movies, but they've never been presented like this and I'm some one who has seen a LOT of movies and this script didn't feel familiar to me in the slightest.

Reel

Quote from: Marty McSuperfly on April 30, 2011, 12:33:08 PM
The title character Django is a freed slave, who under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christophe Waltz) becomes a badass bounty hunter himself and after assisting Waltz on taking down some bad guys for profit, is in turn assisted by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner.

That rules. Waltz is playing like the exact same character as Landa, but with a good heart. Must be one of his long lost ancestors. I'm geekin over this. I'm sick of people here bitching about Tarantino lately, he da man.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm also of the opinion that QT is at the top of his game. This sounds like an amazing film.

Pozer

He writes: As someone who has actually read Tarantino's latest script - and no I can't forward it to anyone as I came on all 166 pages soiling the hard copy

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

It probably won't be the definitive statement on the south's troubled past, and the villains, like Nazis, are laughably obvious, sure, but okay, I'll see this too. 

Second movie in a row to reference an Italian film title.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Stefen

Quote from: Pozer on April 30, 2011, 03:24:38 PM
He writes: As someone who has actually read Tarantino's latest script - and no I can't forward it to anyone as I came on all 166 pages soiling the hard copy

haha.

I was kind of hoping this would be a spaghetti western type flick in the same style as the Sergio Leone classics. Kill Bill 2 had bits of that style, but I wanted a full on spaghetti western.

This one sounds just like another over the top idea that QT, RR and :shock: came up with one night when they were all sitting around watching SpikeTV and lighting their own farts on fire.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Stefen on April 30, 2011, 04:38:53 PM
I was kind of hoping this would be a spaghetti western type flick in the same style as the Sergio Leone classics. Kill Bill 2 had bits of that style, but I wanted a full on spaghetti western.

This one sounds just like another over the top idea that QT, RR and :shock: came up with one night when they were all sitting around watching SpikeTV and lighting their own farts on fire.

I'd think the name change and synopsis would reinforce your spaghetti western hopes.  Wasn't Eastwood a bounty hunter in the No Name trilogy?
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Saddles Up For Spaghetti Western 'Django Unchained'
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

Back when I saw him in late February at Harvey Weinstein's Oscar night party for The King's Speech, Quentin Tarantino told me that his script for a Western was just pouring out of him easily, that he'd finished a draft and expected to turn in a final version within two months. As a web leak of the cover page of his new script Django Unchained attests, Tarantino finished that script two days ago, right on schedule. Here's what I've heard: While Tarantino has spoken about doing a variation of the Western genre he called a "Southern," I'm told he has actually written a spaghetti Western, that stylized and violent brand of films popularized by Sergio Leone and a few other directors in the 1960s. Tarantino will put his stamp on one of his favorite genres same as he did when he took on the war mission movie with Inglourious Basterds. The project is moving very quickly. Tarantino is reuniting with Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher. Sher will produce with Pilar Savone. Weinstein, who distributed Pulp Fiction, will spearhead domestic distribution on Django Unchained through TWC. Universal International has the inside track to co-finance and handle foreign distribution because of the relationship built on 2009's Inglourious Basterds, which grossed $190 million overseas, and $314 million overall. Despite the early look that Universal International will get, Tarantino's script is also being pursued by Warner Bros, Paramount and Sony Pictures, I'm told. Django Unchained will be casting up quickly to begin production later this year; whether it starts late summer or fall depends on cast availability. Just like on Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino will be casting top-shelf on his spaghetti Western. Getting the WME-repped Tarantino back behind the camera is another boost for the rebounding TWC. After the leak of the cover page, everyone involved will be working harder to keep the script under wraps.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Do you pronounce it Jango? I wonder if that Rango movie bit off it too.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Reelist on April 30, 2011, 07:20:10 PM
Do you pronounce it Jango? I wonder if that Rango movie bit off it too.

Yes and probably yes (I never saw Rango).

Django was a European phenomenon.  I'm by no means a Django expert but I know things like the name Django would be attached to non-Django westerns due to popularity and a potential increase in ticket sales, which made for a large number of formal and informal sequels, like when I IMDb Django and find a movie such as Massacre Time (Fulci!) that stars Franco Nero, though he isn't playing a character listed as being named Django, but then there's a listing of title options:  "Massacre Time (1966) aka "Tempo di massacro" - Italy (original title)  aka "Django the Runner" - Netherlands (informal literal title)."  Where did that last one come from?  I believe he was especially popular as a character in Germany.

Some of the movies are pretty outrageous, and that's even being comparative to Corbucci's original which is crazy enough (very good too, I think).  Spaghetti western fans know the name well.  Alex Cox's Straight to Hell is a riff on Django, Kill!, Alex Cox being a notable fan of the genre and author of the book 10,000 Ways to Die: A Director's Take on the Spaghetti Western.