Win Win

Started by RegularKarate, March 15, 2011, 12:47:45 PM

RegularKarate

Win Win

Click for SPOILERY trailer:

Disheartened attorney Mike Flaherty (Giamatti), who moonlights as a high school wrestling coach, stumbles across a star athlete through some questionable business dealings while trying to support his family. Just as it looks like he will get a double payday, the boy's mother shows up fresh from rehab and flat broke, threatening to derail everything.

Directed by Thomas McCarthy

I saw this at SXSW last night.  I loved The Visitor and loved this one just as much.   Very well acted.  The trailer spoils a lot, but it's not a big deal since the plot isn't where the strength of this thing lies, the characters are really well written and acted.  I think this Thomas McCarthy can really direct an actor.

Sleepless

I've really enjoyed both of McCarthy's films, although I wasn't really blown away when I saw this trailer a month or so ago. I think it was the focus on the "heavyweight" actors Giamatti and Ryan rather than on the tone as in Station Agent and Visitor. I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it, RK, makes me excited for it all over again.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

from my blog:

One of the films I had most wanted to see at Sundance this year but wasn't able to, I ended up (somewhat) accidentally attending the film's NY Premiere the other night. This indie dramedy stars Paul Giamatti as a lawyer/wrestling coach struggling to make ends meet who ends up taking in the teenage grandson of one of his clients who just happens to be a phenomenal wrestler. It sounds like the sort of cloying feel-good underdog story routinely produced by Hollywood ("The Blind Side" comes to mind) but the film never feels manipulative.

The film is warm, funny and leans much closer towards relatable characters usually avoided by mainstream comedies. It's arc is clear but the characters (portrayed by a stellar supporting cast including Amy Ryan, Jeffrey Tambor and Bobby Cannavale) are all well defined. The credit here is all due to writer/director Tom McCarthy. Though he was responsible for co-writing my favorite film of 2009, Pixar's "Up," I'm ashamed to admit, I still have not seen his first two films as writer/director ("The Station Agent" and "The Visitor") despite near universal acclaim. They're Queue'd so it will be rectified.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I want to see this, but whoever marketed it should be shot.  The trailer spoils far too much and the poster makes it look like a trip to the dentist.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sleepless

Quote from: ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ on March 28, 2011, 01:24:52 AM
I want to see this, but whoever marketed it should be shot.  The trailer spoils far too much and the poster makes it look like a trip to the dentist.

Agreed.

Mod, you gotta watch his first 2. They're both fantastic. The Visitor is particular is great.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

IchLiebeTisch

matt35mm

This was a pretty wonderful film. It feels effortlessly charming and funny. I really appreciated that the film never seemed to be concerned with conforming to the sports movie model, instead opting to just do right by the characters and following them where ever they end up going. It still manages to deliver some of the rousing effects of a sports movie, though, so it kind of gets its cake and eats it too.

pete

i thought parts of it were funny, but what was up with the awful, on-the-nose dialogue, and wooden performances?
I expected much better from Tom McCarthy and the actors.

"Where's dad?"
"He's running."
"From what?"

cringe.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Here my sympathy was well-earned, a product of careful maneuvers and subtle choices within the film.  Like Cedar Rapids earlier this year I was surprised and delighted to find myself caring for normal people characters based on their normality and the honesty of their depictions, the implied strength of characters struggling against imperfections and real-world obstacles.

But then I have to spend the third act watching inevitable filmic conclusions play out.  That bothers me.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."