House of 1000 Corpses

Started by Sleuth, April 12, 2003, 12:36:08 AM

Sleuth

This movie is stupid

but also sort of fun.  Very gory, but not like Dead Alive type gory.
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I thought it was stupid as well. But not in the fun way. I found it pretty annoying. The first fifteen minutes or so showed some promise, and the scene where the cops come to investigate with the girls' father was fairly well done....the rest, frankly, was a pain to sit through. For me at least.

Rudie Obias

i thought it was great!  it's a b-movie horror film in the same vein as NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.  rob zombie understands that genre on film and it really shows in this movie.  it was just so bloody and violent and the soundtrack kick fuckin' ass!  it has everything you want in a horror movie like kidnapped cheerleaders, haunted houses, a local myth, a group of traveling sexy teens, fried chicken and guy named dr. satan.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Sleuth

Yeah, that's why I thought it was fun, but a lot of parts were what I like to call "fucking stupid"
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

I want to see this movie SO FUCKING BADLY!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

In another thread you mentioned that you liked the Resident Evil movie.  So did I.  I expected that movie to be really terrible and the only reason I went to see it was because I wasn't paying my way in and I was bored.  Damn was I surprised at how much I liked it (more than House of 1000 anyway)
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I didn't like Resident Evil much, but it was way better than House of 1000 Corpses. Which is unfortunate, because I was really rooting for Rob Zombie. I used to be a big fan -- I waited in line for four hours to get his autograph once.  He's got such a wonderful monster movie sensibility. Anyone who names a song after a car from the Munsters is cool in my book. And any horror movie set in the seventies with a character named Dr. Satan sounds like my cup of tea.

But the movie completely derails once it gets to the crazy family's house. It's not really scary, and it's not enjoyable (for me, anyway). Mostly it just felt obnoxious. Its a rip off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Night Of The Living Dead, but without the quality. And it's not even gory. I know it was cut for an R rating, but they still could have had a lot more blood n' guts.

Oh well. Now I'm just looking forward to 28 Day Later and Cabin Fever.

Sleuth

Quote from: GhostboyIts a rip off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre without the quality.

Good point, you.

QuoteNow I'm just looking forward to 28 Day Later

I'm going to be so pissed if I don't like this movie
I like to hug dogs

Jon

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!

The slow motion 20-30 some second wait before he shoots him was fucking awesome.

END SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

Sleuth

I thought so too, but I wish the audience wasn't completely destroying the tension by shouting "DO IT" through the whole thing
I like to hug dogs

ShanghaiOrange

Just saw a preview for Jeepers Creepers 2.  :shock:

The preview for "1000 Corpses" looks pretty bad.

"Do you know the legend of Doctor Satan?"
"Doctor Satan!"

It would be funny if he turned out to be Doctor Saytan.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Dr. Schatzi

I had to do a review of this movie and it was so fucking bad that it gave me SARS!
Who's the Boss was the greatest show ever, seriously.

Dr. Schatzi

God, this movie was so bad.  There wasn't anything original in the whole film.  Everything was just tired retreads of the horror genre.  It really reminded me a lot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, except TCM:TNG was way better (and that movie was horrible).  At first I thought the quick-cuts to grainy home movie quality was cool, but it was WAY overused.  I honestly believe this to be the worst movie I have ever seen.  I'm such a fan of the genre, which saddens me when something so schlocky and point-missing as this film is released.  Humor was severly lacking and the dialogue was godawful.  ICP's movie Big Money Hustlas is just as bad.  Musicians should not write feature-length films.
Who's the Boss was the greatest show ever, seriously.

bonanzataz

i loved it.

WE LIKE TO GET FUCKED UP AND DO FUCKED UP SHIT!

-Why don't you keep the change and get yourself a new name, GOOOOBER!
-Thanks, maam! Thanks for comin' ta... red hot... pussy liquors!

my favorite part was the "i wanna be loved by you" part. and the "brick house" sequence was gold.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Despite my thinking that the movie was pretty lame, I still want to see Rob Zombie make another film. Hopefully it'll be better.

In addition to funny lines like the Red Hot Pussy Liquor bit, I also appreciated the multiple references to Creature From The Black Lagoon and the box or Agatha Crispies cereal. I think Mr. Zombie could make a kick ass horror film, but this one ain't it. In my opinion.