Easy A

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2010, 11:23:33 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: September 17th, 2010 (wide)

Starring: Patricia Clarkson, Penn Badgley, Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Lisa Kudrow

Directed by: Will Gluck

Premise: After a little white lie about losing her virginity gets out, a clean cut high school girl sees her life paralleling Hester Prynne's in "The Scarlet Letter," which she is currently studying in school -- until she decides to use the rumor mill to advance her social and financial standing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

They're lucky they got Emma Stone for this, because she is the only reason I would be interested in seeing it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

This movie got so much love!  It's not that good!  The movie coasts on Emma Stone's charm but there's only like half a movie here.  There's no conflict, believable relationships or reason for her to be doing this.  Writer/director Gluck has apparently never spent time around actual human beings nor seen how movies are supposed to work.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

I hearted this movie but after reading mods review I can't disagree with him. It made me feel and thats what counts (for me) when I see a movie. Thats why I have a special place in my heart for 'Win a Date with Tad Hamilton' and every single John Hughes film of the 1980's. Yeah, you read that right. I think its miles above any of the other teen movies of the past year (excluding Apatow's ones) and more people should see it with its flaws. Warts and all.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

I (somehow) managed to sit through the entirety of this thing. There's nothing in this movie that you didn't learn from DogvilleDogville is the more humorous of the two.
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

Sleepless

I actually really enjoyed this. Granted, I wasn't expecting much, but I went in hoping it'd be at least half-decent. Wasn't exactly groundbreaking but for a high school movie I thought it was definitely on the better end of the scale. Quite an impressive cast, and several clever gags in the script which couldn't have worked if the actors didn't get it. Plus, Emma Stone at the center of it all. Two thumbs up for a popcorn night in.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I agree with Sleepless.

Pas

Yeah there are a couple great oneliners in there, like when the dad asks his adopted son where he comes from originally, quite funny.

If all teen movies were like this I'd rent them all. Who am I kidding, I rent them all anyway.

Stefen

Weird. I watched this last night too!  Did we all watch it because it's now available instantly on Netflix?  :ponder:

I was going to watch Bergmans Persona, but I put that on, got 5 minutes in and said Eff this and opted for something lighter.

I didn't even feel like watching a movie. I really just wanted to eat popcorn.

I barely remember any of this movie. It was pretty forgettable. I remember that I really hate teen movies where the teen is smarter than their parents, and their parents know it. I remember there was an illegal immigrant who she ends up falling for for no other reason other than the script called for it. I remember how she was the nerd of the school who nobody noticed despite being the hottest girl at said school. I remember strange body features like Emma Stone's five-head and some fat kid at the swimming pool who had tons of body hair.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on May 09, 2011, 09:31:32 PM
I remember there was an illegal immigrant who she ends up falling for for no other reason other than the script called for it.

What on god's green earth are you talking about?

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on May 09, 2011, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: Stefen on May 09, 2011, 09:31:32 PM
I remember there was an illegal immigrant who she ends up falling for for no other reason other than the script called for it.

What on god's green earth are you talking about?

This amigo.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I'm way more interested in this conversation than the actual movie.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

I agree with Merrill.
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?