Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Started by MacGuffin, May 06, 2010, 05:30:37 PM

MacGuffin

Fox sets release for 'Apes' prequel
Rupert Wyatt to direct 'Rise of the Apes'
Source: Variety

Twentieth Century Fox will release prequel "Rise of the Apes" on June 24, 2011, with Rupert Wyatt confirmed to direct.

Title is tentative.

Studio is partnering with Peter Jackson's visual effects company WETA Digital on the film, which relaunches the "Planet of the Apes" franchise.

Chernin Entertainment is producing.

Wyatt will direct from a script by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who also are producing with Chernin Entertainment's Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark.

"Rise of the Apes" is an origins story set in present-day San Francisco. The film is a reality-based cautionary tale, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

WETA will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

no planet of the apes reality-based cautionary tale will top escape from the planet of the apes.

and CG APES? and how does the war even happen? he accidentally modifies a million apes at the same time? even then we'd probably still be okay.

Stefen

They should call it 'The OCD Primate Maker."

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm sure it was partially intended, but I thought this was a thread dedicated to how imdb is a planet of apes.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

James Franco to star in 'Apes'
Thesp will play a young scientist, filming starts July 5

James Franco has signed on to star in 20th Century Fox's "Planet of the Apes" prequel "Rise of the Apes."

The "Milk" thesp, who beat out a number of Hollywood's young elite actors for the coveted role, sat down with "Apes" director Rupert Wyatt this past weekend and had an amazing meeting of the minds, according to insiders.

Described as an origin story, "Apes" is set in present day San Francisco and deals with the aftermath of man's experiments with genetic engineering that lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. Franco will play a driven scientist who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes.

Visual effects house WETA Digital -- which will employ some of the groundbreaking technologies developed for "Avatar" -- will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

Film, which starts lensing July 5, will bow June 24, 2011.

Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark will produce for Chernin Entertainment under its new pact with Fox. Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who penned the script, are also producing.

Franco stars in the upcoming Danny Boyle movie for Fox Searchlight "127 Hours."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

So how long do you give this before its announced it will be in 3D?

Stefen

I'm surprised 3D wasn't the hook and line.

omg -- can you imagine James Franco's goofy, "just got caught buying pron instead of downloading" smile/smirk combo face in 3D?

Sign me up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Gollum joins 'Rise of the Apes'
Andy Serkis tapped to play lead chimp in Fox prequel

Andy Serkis has been cast in the key role of Caesar in 20th Century Fox's "Rise of the Apes," the studio's "Planet of the Apes" prequel that toplines James Franco.

Chernin Entertainment is producing the film, which also stars Freida Pinto and John Lithgow. Rupert Wyatt begins lensing the origins story next month. Film unspools in theaters June 24, 2011.

Set in present day San Francisco, "Apes" deals with the aftermath of man's experiments with genetic engineering that lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. Franco is a driven scientist who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes.

Serkis, who was Gollum in Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, plays the chimpanzee who leads the uprising among the apes after having been raised by Franco and Lithgow's characters, who are father and son in the film.

Project reunites Serkis and Jackson's visual effects house WETA digital. WETA is rendering photo-realistic apes, rather than costumed actors, for the first time in the franchise.

Wyatt will direct "Rise of the Apes" from a script by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who will produce with Chernin Entertainment's Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark.

Serkis' upcoming credits include Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tin-Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

This kind of came out of nowhere for me in the past couple of weeks. 
I was so ready to completely ignore this, but all of a sudden early artwork showed up last week and now the trailer and despite my better judgement, I'm actually excited.

Pozer

so great news bout that Cannes roster ay...

Stefen

Franco playing a scientist? GTFO!

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

This looks awesome. Even with James Franco playing a scientist.