A swedish love story

Started by Robyn, April 20, 2010, 08:38:44 AM

Robyn

I don't know if this movie is known outside Sweden. But I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. It is made by Roy Andersson, who directed You the Living and Songs from the Second Floor.

The Perineum Falcon

I love that poster!

Netflix doesn't have this, so I'm not sure if it's out here yet. How recent is it?
I enjoyed Songs... when I saw it a couple years ago and I've added You, the Living to my queue, but I wish I could see this, too.

Thanks for the recommendation!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Robyn

I don't know if it's released outside of Sweden, bur there is a Swedish DVD with English subtitles.

It's from 1970, so it's not new. You can read about it here:
http://www.royandersson.com/en/produktion_produktioner_langfilm_karleksh.htm

Pubrick

yeah wow i've been looking for this film for ages since seeing Andersson's last two films.

i was fascinated by the back story. this was his debut film, he was 27, so it was like Boogie Nights for PTA, then 5 years later he made a film called Giliap (whatever that means) which was a total abysmal failure critically and financially. that's even harder to find. he then compares himself to Kubrick in saying that film was misunderstood like Barry Lyndon, which only makes me want to see it more. then he pulls a MALICK and stops making movies for 25 years. that's just amazing!

i've wanted to talk about his films many times in the past cos i really think he is one of the most unique artists in the world. he has an IMPECCABLE eye for composition. his narratives are absolutely profound (songs and living).. i posted one of his shorts, World of Glory, here but no one was interested.

anyway, would love to collect all of this dude's work. i was able to find A Swedish Story complete online at this japanese website but it doesn't have subtitles, split into two parts: first 53mins / second 61 mins.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

well, it's not impossible to find it with english subtitles if you want to download it
Just search on TPB.

Robyn

Quote from: P on April 20, 2010, 10:58:23 AMthen he pulls a MALICK and stops making movies for 25 years.

Did you know that he made a lot of commercials during that time? They are funny as hell, actually.

Pubrick

Quote from: KarlJan on April 20, 2010, 11:24:03 AM
well, it's not impossible to find it with english subtitles if you want to download it
Just search on TPB.

so i found the torrent you were talking about and stole it quick snap.. but now i'm not sure if it is the same file you were talking about.

i only recently upgraded my computer set up and have been going nuts with the downloading, so i'm kinda rusty on authoring dvds from stolen materials and the like.. am i crazy or does that version only contain a dvd rip of the movie with COMMENTARY? when i play the avi i can hear the film normally except there is obviously a separate commentary dialogue going on over the actual film. am i sposed to take care of this during the arduous process of dvd authoring or is there another version that just straight up has the normal movie without the commentary?
under the paving stones.