Death at a Funeral (2010)

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 15, 2010, 11:48:29 PM

Gold Trumpet

Searched, but could not find a thread for Chris Rock's remake of Death at a Funeral. I only make this thread because,

"Death at a Funeral" is the funniest comedy since "The Hangover."

- Roger Ebert

Don't need to say anymore. Ignore until video, folks, and then act like Ebert is either really right or really wrong.

Pas

The original (the british one) was really funny so, yeah, guess it could be true.

That is, if we admit The Hangover was funny (which it was not)

Pedro

The original is fantastic, but the trailer for the new one both gives away most of the best jokes AND suggests that the remake is just the original with a bunch of halfbaked racial themed comedy thrown in.  I will not be seeing it.

MacGuffin

The only intriguing aspect of this film is that Neil LaBute directed it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I don't know how Neil LaBute changes the dimension of this film or any of his previous ones. Wicker Man was unexpected (but purposeful) ham because of the script and Nicolas Cage and I've seen parts of Lakeview Terrace and I think many filmmakers could have planted into that film. None of these films announce themselves to a degree that his early films do. I think he's become a director for hire so this movie will be about whether Chris Rock can make a funny movie even funnier.

Reel

Chris Rock never dissapoints. I was waiting for his followup to "I think I love my wife" ( the remake of Chloe in the Afternoon )  and thought it may be this. But then I found out all about "Good hair" which I'm not sure how funny that is, anyone seen it? I'm glad to see him delving into any topic really because I love his personality but his stand up doesn't do what it used to anymore, but he's still one of the top comedians, up there with Louis C.K. of course

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on April 19, 2010, 05:56:11 PM
Chris Rock never dissapoints.

if you mean Chris Rock never fails to deliver mediocre films that hugely under-use his abilities, then yeah.. he never disappoints.

seriously you must be thinking of Chris Tucker and you must also be thinking from the perspective of a movie exec cos then it would make sense that the dude never disappoints in box office receipts. Chris ROCK in movies tries hard with a concept (sometimes) but mostly the movie is a total snoozefest.

he's a funny dude but he just can't make a good movie.. sort of like Richard Pryor in the 80s only less desperate.
under the paving stones.

pete

norm macdonald in the saturday night live book talked about how people always say chris rock's underused in skits but he said no, chris rock's a very funny comedian but that doesn't mean he can do skits.  the same is for movies I think.  though he was great in I'm gonna git ya sucka.
I dunno, the original seems funny, and these actors are funny, and if they're doing the same script, then I shall give it a chance since I hadn't seen the original yet.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

he didn't make it; louis ck did.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton