Best Director=Best Picture?

Started by Derek, April 10, 2003, 02:03:39 PM

Derek

Should the best picture & director go hand in hand at the Oscars?

I think so. The director is the final author of the project, and if she or he has made what is considered to be the best picture, he should also be considered the top in his or her respective category.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Raikus

Except that the director usually doesn't control the original story, only how we see it. I think they should be separate because of this. I can see someone winning best director for a movie that doesn't win best picture. I can also see the opposite.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

polkablues

Right.  Just like the Best Screenplay and Best Picture don't neccesarily (and very often don't) coincide.  Directing is still only one aspect of the final film.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DerekShould the best picture & director go hand in hand at the Oscars?

I think so. The director is the final author of the project, and if she or he has made what is considered to be the best picture, he should also be considered the top in his or her respective category.

are you saying that they shouldn't be different catagories? or are you saying the director should be given the oscar for best picture isntead of the producer of the film?
...your excuses are your own...

Derek

The director has control over everything. Therefore, responsible for the end result...no matter how much he decides to change, create, or leave alone.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DerekThe director has control over everything. Therefore, responsible for the end result...no matter how much he decides to change, create, or leave alone.

im sorry to break you idealistic view of movies, but, the producer has the final say. very few directors have final cut.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: DerekThe director has control over everything. Therefore, responsible for the end result...no matter how much he decides to change, create, or leave alone.

I have two words for you... Kubrick... Spartacus...

Derek

Quote from: cowboykurtis

im sorry to break you idealistic view of movies, but, the producer has the final say. very few directors have final cut.

Thanks for being gentle. Of course there are exceptions, but usually the movies that go up for Best Picture are not made by committee.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: cowboykurtis

Thanks for being gentle. Of course there are exceptions, but usually the movies that go up for Best Picture are not made by committee.

again, sorry to break your idealistic views, but all studio films are made by comitte. do you think business men give "free reign" over millions of dollars to artists?  even martin scorsese had troubles with gangs of new york. why do you think it took so long to get released... 2 words.... harvey weinstein

Derek

Then perhaps they should give the producer the Best Director award too.

Don't patronize me.

Pwaybloe

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DerekThen perhaps they should give the producer the Best Director award too.

Don't patronize me.

no, you're wrong again, they shouldnt get teh best director award, because they didn't direct it-- they produced it... the best director should get the best director award. the producer should get the best picture award. pretty simple. thats how it is, thats how its always been.

Derek

Not much for thinking outside the box, are we?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DerekNot much for thinking outside the box, are we?

not when it comes to incosequential "rules" of an institution that has been around for 75 years. my time is better off wasted thinking outside the box about things that can actually be apllied. good luck with your brave attempt to change the format of the academy awards. maybe ill read about you some day.

Derek

You need to stop thinking so literally. I was looking at the philosophy of the matter, not the logistics.