Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2010

Started by modage, January 01, 2010, 05:32:24 PM

modage

1. Inception
Christopher Nolan is the best.  If this has anything to do with the movie, I will need new pants.  Dry ones.

2. The Tree of Life
I'm not a huge Malick fan but I feel like this could be a turning point for me and the scarce details (2 films? Dinosaurs? IMAX?) make me really want to see this.

3. Black Swan
Winona & Natalie together at last.  Thank you, Aronofsky.

4. Somewhere
I wonder if Sofia Coppola is still good?

5. Your Highness
Natalie & Zooey together at last.  Thank you, DGG.

6. Never Let Me Go
It's not the Wolf Man, so it had better be better than the that would have been, had Romanek directed that.  Also: smart sci-fi is cool.

7. The Social Network
Why is Fincher making this?  I hope it's because he is making it awesome and not because he is making one for them so he can make one for him later.

8. Toy Story 3
It's been a long time since Toy Story 2 and Pixar films have matured considerably. I'm very curious to see how these characters work in Pixar 2010.

9. Kick-Ass
I'm buying the buzz from BNAT.  I know I shouldn't, but I am.

10. Shutter Island
The ending will be bad, but it will look good.

Also: The Fighter, Greenberg, Cemetery Junction, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, The Green Hornet, Paul

See how other years turned out:
2009 ::: 2008 ::: 2007 ::: 2006 ::: 2005
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

i saw and heard bits of somewhere through the door at work... i don't know if i saw enough to get a good impression, but it seems like a departure from her other work-- brighter, warmer, and funnier. but i stress that i didn't see enough to piece what i saw together.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

1.) Wall Street 2 No need to explain. The reasons are masturbatory and obvious.

2.) Enter the Void Irreversible proved that Gaspar Noe needs to make films in the abstract. The first half was brilliant, but the second half was null and void for being so obvious. It's when he has to slow the story down and take consideration of plot and theme in the typical does he become too heavy handed, but a film about near death experiences? Sounds like the perfect chance for Noe to really challenge the best parts of his abilities.

3.) Inception Both Batman's had major script problems. Nolan is a talent, but maybe another universe will get him to forgo trying to explain away the story and be critic conscious all the time.

4.) The Ghost Writer  Polanski is a supreme filmmaker for thrillers, but he needs an excellent script. He never out directs something but if he can find a decent script, he can marry all the elements together better than any other suspense filmmaker.

5.) Micmacs Surprising that Jean-Pierre Jeunet has not made a film since 2004's A Very Long Engagement, but that film and Amelie show that his imagination is always something to watch out for. Other French filmmakers have imitated his style since so it will be good to see him return and either take hold of the mantel again or transition to something else.

6.)  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One  The last one was brilliant for its fantastic details and imagination. The stories continue to get richer in substance without abandoning its identity as a fantasy story. No reason to suggest the series will do anything but improve.

7.) The Tree Of Life Not the biggest Malick fan, but he's the keynote example of someone you have to keep tabs on. Even a failure by him has a lot of value to watch and ponder for a while. A new Malick film is a great event always.

8.) Shutter Island The trailer suggests a film as perfect for Scorsese as Cape Fear was. His filmic imagination should be at work. No need to try to compensate for lackluster drama this time.

9.) Nailed Like I've said before, David O Russell is at a crossroads in his career and for him to vault himself back to the discussion of top tier independent American filmmakers, he needs to do something really good with this film. If his attempt at political satire (or whatever he's intending) comes off as juvenile lollygagging, he will be written off by a lot of people.

10.) Black Swan I like Arnofsky, but I've not been a fan of his serious attempts. Pi is still his most complete effort for me, but that is just my opinion. I just wonder if this film will be a more out and out entertainment thriller and show a different side of him like Batman did for Christopher Nolan where Arnofsky may be better suited in making entertainment look better than attempting to be an art house filmmaker.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: modage on January 01, 2010, 05:32:24 PM
1. Inception
Christopher Nolan is the best.  If this has anything to do with the movie, I will need new pants.  Dry ones.

lookin like some damn jason molina

john

Pretty much everything already listed. though, I've yet to muster much enthusiasm for Inception, I'm sure it will knock me on my ass.

Jacob Arron Estes hasn't directed a film since Mean Creek, and I thought that was pretty exceptional, so I'm relatively excited about The Details.

Lynne Ramsay's We Need To Talk About Kevin should be coming out as well. She gets better and better with every film, so this should be no exception.

Iron Man was pretty terrific summer escapism last year and the addition of Mickey Rourke should only make Iron Man 2 even better.

I guess there's a good chance (any chance?) Kenneth Lonergan's Margaret could see the light of day. It's like Chinese Democracy of ensemble tragedies!

Mostly I'm excited for all the films by all the directors I haven't even heard about yet. Hopefully someone is finishing editing the next incredible debut film that will knock all of us on our asses. And, even if there isn't, Scorsese and Malick both have films being released this year... which should be good enough for anybody.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Fernando

1. The Tree of Life and that IMAX thing.
my anticipation for tree is ridiculous to say the least, it's my reason for breathing. and that IMAX thing? please let this be real.

2. The Grand Master.
wong kar wai doing a film about martial arts should be awesome.

3. Inception.
that teaser sold me on this big time, ill do my best to not watch any other trailers that are released.

4. Shutter Island.
where the hell is tom cruise? oh yeah di caprio took over a long ago and I loved The Departed.

5. The Social Network.
like mod beats me why fincher is doing this, but im yet to be disappointed by him.

6. Black Swan.
natalie + aronofsky = yes please.

7. Enter the Void
pretty much what gt said.

8. Toy Story 3
pixar can do no wrong.

like john, i hope someone is making a marvelous film that i know nothing about and will surprise everyone.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

thanks to that list i now have the confidence to make a list.

1. Black Swan - Aronofsky. he tends to make movies that i put on my decade lists (to be posted this month probably). this should be another.

2. Inception - almost neck and neck with Swan. the trailer made me slightly less excited than the teaser just because it's becoming more of a "movie" than an abstract idea, but i'm pumped.

3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - i've read several of the books and the dialogue is too speakable not to become a great movie. and Edgar Wright is just genius.

4. True Grit - Coens. doing something different for once. guess i'll see it.

5. Tree o' Life - i just want to see Malick direct cg. how is that possible? will he ask for hours of rendered footage and just.. cut around it?

6. The American - i really really liked Control. i think Corbjin makes for a better movie director.

7. Paul - Mottola and Peggfrost and scifi comedy.

8. The Way Back - only Weir's second film after Truman Show/Fearless. two of my favourites. i still haven't seen Master/Commander but have never heard a word against it. should be another amazing movie. unless he's lost it in the intervening 7 years.

9. The Descendants - pretty much the same thing as above. i hated About Schmidt but Payne tends to make something amazing. unless he's lost in in the intervening 6 years.

10. The Beaver - YES.

11. The Social Network - it's hard to anticipate this excitedly because the basic idea isn't very sexy but if anyone can do something good with anything it's Fincher. except for those two times... fingers crossed. but it's FINCHER. i shouldn't need to.

modage

I think it's unlikely we'll see True Grit or The Descendants this year since they haven't started shooting either yet, but I'd put both on my Most Anticipated 2011.

picolas

i'll give you Descendants but the Coens have been going pretty fast lately. a movie a year for three years in a row.

blackmirror

Quote from: picolas on January 05, 2010, 06:22:41 PM
10. The Beaver - YES.

I hope this is released despite Mr. Gibson's recent debasement.

Films I anticipate are Mr. Romanek's Never Let Me Go, Mr. Russell's The Fighter, Mr. Goldwyn's Conviction, Mr. Hooper's The King's Speech, and Mr. Boyle's 127 Hours.

modage

From my blog:

September is here which means the dismal Summer movie season is winding down and it's time to start looking forward to all the movies coming out between now and the end of the year.  Here we go...

1. TREE OF LIFE (Unknown) Not much more is known about reclusive director Terrence Malick's fifth film than it was when I wrote about it at the beginning of this year.  Supposedly it "will change the language of cinema" and (even though there is still no release date) will supposedly open by the end of the year.

2. BLACK SWAN (December 1) Watch the trailer and tell me this doesn't look amazing.  You can't.  Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Winona Ryder star in Darren "Requiem for a Dream" Aronofsky's psychological thriller about rival ballet dancers.

3. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (October 1) Yes, "the Facebook movie".  The trailer is brilliant and early word is that the movie might actually live up to it.  David Fincher shows he isn't concerned with replicating reality as he magnifies events to near-operatic levels.  It's a movie about computer nerds but shot like Se7en, what's not to like? 

4. SOMEWHERE (December 22) Sofia Coppola returns with a film that looks like it could be a spiritual sequel to her breakout Lost In Translation.  Again, a fantastic teaser gives you glimpses of this story about a bad boy actor and his daughter living in the Chateau Marmont.

5. TRUE GRIT (December 25) The Coen Bros, who seem to be alternating between shit movies (Burn After Reading) and great ones (A Serious Man), can hopefully put one more in the "win" column here. Their first western is about a US Marshall helping a young woman track down her fathers murderer.  It reunites them with "The Dude" himself, as well as Josh Brolin and first-timer Matt Damon.

6. NEVER LET ME GO (September 15) Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and (future Spider-Man) Andrew Garfield star as kids who grow up in a "seemingly idyllic" boarding school.  Unfortunately the trailer gives away a pretty significant twist in the "seemingly boring" setup, but without spoiling I'll say it's vaguely sci-fi and you will probably cry.

7. THE FIGHTER (December 10) David O. Russell jumpstarts his comeback with this true-life story about boxer "Irish" Mickey Ward.  Stars Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo mean the studio is probably counting on some awards here and luckily Russell is one of 3 directors who can direct Wahlberg to a good performances.

8. HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART I (November 19) I've never read the books but the movies have become consistently entertaining and the trailer for the latest and penultimate Potter film looks like the final installments are going to be EPIC.  I'm probably not the only one excited for this.

9. TRON: LEGACY (December 17) I've never seen the original but am interested in this one for the art direction alone.  CG Jeff Bridges looks worrisome and I've heard that lead Garrett Hedlund's performance might not be exactly award-worthy but Daft Punk did the score and it looks visually stunning so they're probably getting my money anyway.

10. LET ME IN (October 1) On the surface, remaking one of the best horror films of the last decade would be a huge mistake.  But damn if it doesn't look like they've gotten it right.  Cloverfield director Matt Reeves seems to have a lot of reverence for the novel as well as the original film so maybe it'll be possible to love both?

11. THE TOWN (September 17) I'm still getting used to the idea of Ben Affleck the director, but Gone Baby Gone was a really good movie.  And he's assembled an interesting cast for his sophomore effort: Jon Hamm, Rebecca Hall, Jeremy Renner and Blake Lively star in this heist-gone-wrong film.  I've actually avoided the trailer because I heard it was too spoilerful so I'm excited to see this one blind.

12. 127 HOURS (October 22) I've always been a Danny Boyle fan and (barring Sunshine) have enjoyed all his films.  Slumdog Millionaire may have been overrated (certainly it wasn't Best Picture) but it was cute and enjoyable.  James Franco stars in his latest, about real life mountain climber Aron Ralston's attempt to save his own life after being trapped for *titular line* 127 hours.

Stefen

:yabbse-thumbup:

Pretty much mirrors my list.

I'd take off Somewhere because it seems like a wait and see and replace it with I'm Still Here because it looks batshit crazy. I'd also take off Harry Potter because I don't care about those movies and replace it with either Enter The Void, Miral or Restless.

I really, really hope Tree of Life makes it this year.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.