Five Minutes of Heaven

Started by MacGuffin, August 19, 2009, 04:57:34 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August 21st, 2009 (limited)

Starring: Liam Neeson, James Nesbitt, Anamaria Marinca, Richard Dormer, Andrea Irvine 

Directed by: Oliver Hirschbiegel (Downfall)

Premise: The story of former UVF member Alistair Little. Twenty-five years after Little killed Joe Griffen's brother, the media arrange an auspicious meeting between the two.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

My theater was supposed to get this today and for some reason, we don't have it.

Does anyone know anything about a pushing back of the release date or anything?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

great fucking movie.
great performances.
great cinematography.
I hadn't seen suspense and fear carried through an actor's shaking hands in a long long time.  this movie has more suspense than any suspense film.  it's great great stuff.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cronopio 2

from the director of The Invasion.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

More importantly, from the director of Downfall. I consider his version of The Invasion to be as if Kurosawa actually made Tora! Tora! Tora! like he was supposed to but went back to making his films, so it doesn't count. This is a huge talent and considering I am trying to find this movie like crazy now, Pete has sold me.

cronopio 2

i know...i didn't even see The Experiment, but it seemed as such a misstep that i thought it'd be funny to comment on it. then again, what do i know.

cronopio 2

i meant Invasion in my last post. what an idiot.

i saw five minutes of heaven, or rather a lot of minutes of dragging pixels in liam neesson's face  (i'll be more careful with how i see mkv files from now on) but  i want to comment and say it's a fucking good movie.
i liked that it expanded on the ending of downfall, with the idea that being young does not justify the perpetration of violence. this made the film feel very personal and thoughtful about both character's conflicts. in fact, everything that's not about alastair and joe seems irrelevant, which to me is a good sign of a writer knowing his drama.

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopio 2 on July 03, 2010, 08:28:18 PM
from the director of Invasion.

so this was taken over by The Wachowski Siblings too?

i heard only mediocre reviews for this so i guess i will have to rent it now.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

nyce performances / pretty pictures / okayish storyline / stupid stupid ending

Alexandro

The first sequence is really great. Once the dramatic center of the film is revealed it started feeling like theatre, specially Nesbitt's performance. The tension kinda comes and goes but overall is pretty enjoyable because of the acting and the cinematography.