500 Days of Summer [Sundance 09]

Started by modage, January 19, 2009, 03:15:08 PM

modage

Boy gets girl and boy loses girl in convoluted, sometimes cloying but ultimately winning fashion in "500 Days of Summer." Stylish feature debut by longtime musicvideo director Marc Webb goes out of its way to take an unconventional approach to telling one of the oldest stories in the book, only to prevail by embracing the fact that the fundamental things apply -- a cute leading couple, a rooting interest in their welfare and a genuine feeling for heartbreak and the belief that life must go on. Set for July 24 release, this looks like a real commercial winner with young audiences.

The Worst Trailer Narration I Have Ever Seen, But I Still Want To See This:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: modage on January 19, 2009, 03:15:08 PM
The Worst Trailer Narration I Have Ever Seen, But I Still Want To See This:

Sweet Jesus, how could Searchlight let this happen? I'm so excited by what I'm seeing on screen but at the same time my ears want to vomit.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

RegularKarate

UGH!  Her name is Summer... gross

I'll watch this because I have an eye-boner for Zooey and it looks like it could be good... it also seems like the search is still on for LaFontane's replacement.

MacGuffin

New Trailer here.

That never happens to me when I listen to The Smiths.  :yabbse-undecided:

for people who have Flintstone age computers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Garden State - Zach Braff + Joseph Gordon Levitt = me in the theater.

Zooey Deschanel equal to or greater than Natalie Portman.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

those shots of kissing...wow.
yeah, I would've groaned at the lines and the cuteness if it weren't for those two movie stars.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

why can't every movie be this movie!  this might be terribly twee, but it looks great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on March 04, 2009, 02:01:20 AMZooey Deschanel equal to or greater than Natalie Portman.

Blasphemy! She's like a broke and penniless version of Nat Portman. Nat Portman is the myspace angle and Zooey Deschanel is the actual eventual disappointment. She's great, but Nat is a goddess.

Gordon-Levitt has been awesome at picking scripts the last few years, so this will probably be great. But he's also in that G.I. Joe movie, which looks like shit and could mean he just said, "Fuck it" and is picking the most commercially viable options available. Accolades are great, but accolades don't pay the bills and a former child actors gotta eat.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on March 04, 2009, 09:38:05 AM
Quote from: polkablues on March 04, 2009, 02:01:20 AMZooey Deschanel equal to or greater than Natalie Portman.

Blasphemy! She's like a broke and penniless version of Nat Portman. Nat Portman is the myspace angle and Zooey Deschanel is the actual eventual disappointment. She's great, but Nat is a goddess.

YES!

once again stefen we agree, nat is one of a kind...plus, she would kick zoo's ass.

Stefen

Fernando, you have great taste in women.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

This trailer won't load for me, but Zooey > Portmanx10   

meaning one Zo-Desch is still better than ten Nat-Pos.

Sorry... I could stare at her all day. 

Stefen

Yeah, but you have to wear glasses.

Fernando and I have perfect vision. We don't even need binoculars when we're sitting in a tree outside Kate Winslet or Natalie Portman's house.

modage

Zooey Deschanel: a cheaper version of Natalie Portman ('09)

but seriously, how can you not love this.

Fernando

oh i like zooey, but she's no portman..

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 04, 2009, 01:15:44 PM
This trailer won't load for me

same here..

MacGuffin

This all begs the question: Who does Silias want to see naked more?

EDIT: New Trailer link added.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks