The Avengers

Started by MacGuffin, October 28, 2008, 05:43:22 PM

MacGuffin

Downey, Favreau team again for 'Avengers'
Don Cheadle also signs on for superhero movie
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Iron Man" duo Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau will reunite for "The Avengers," Marvel Studios' film about its team of superheroes. Don Cheadle, whose deal to replace Terrence Howard in the "Iron Man" movies has been finalized, also has signed to perform in the action movie.

Downey has signed a four-picture deal with Marvel Studios, which will see him reprise the character of Tony Stark not only for "Iron Man 2" and "Iron Man 3," but also for the "Avengers" movie. (The deal retroactively includes the first "Iron Man.")

Favreau, who is directing "Iron Man 2," will exec produce "Avengers." Cheadle will play Jim Rhodes, Stark's best friend, who becomes the suit-wearing hero "War Machine."

Marvel's current slate is designed to introduce superhero characters via individual movies that lead up to the characters teaming up for "Avengers," which is set for a release in 2011.

Marvel hoped and planned for Downey, who made a cameo in "The Incredible Hulk," to be involved in "Avengers" but the deal took some time to nail down.

Downey and Cheadle are the first stars to sign on for "Avengers," whose team roster features such heroes as Iron Man, Captain American, Hulk, Wasp, Giant Man, Hawkeye and Thor.

Edward Norton portrayed Bruce Banner/Hulk in "Hulk," but the actor-writer-director clashed with the studio over the movie's cut. It is unclear whether Norton would return.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I really enjoyed Iron Man, but I think all these sequels will do little for my taste buds. Robert Downey Jr.'s comedy made Iron Man what it is, but as the series starts to involve more serious characteristics and plots from the comic book, I think it may scare off people like me who care little for the Marvel World. The geekdom will be giddy with all the references and new characters, but it may be a big "ehh" from me.

MacGuffin

Robert Downey Jr. On 'Avengers' Movie: 'If We Don't Get It Right, It's Really Going To Suck'

This week, MTV News named Robert Downey Jr. as the actor we're most thankful for this year, and we here at Splash Page couldn't agree more. After all, not only has Downey taken the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man and made it his own, there doesn't seem to be an actor more excited about not only his place in comics-based films, but the future of the genre as well.

The internet damn-near gave the actor a standing ovation when news broke last month about Downey not only signing on for "Iron Man 2," but also officially joining the cast of the absurdly-anticipated "Avengers" movie. So naturally, we had to get Downey's take on the upcoming film that's destined to be the Holy Grail for Geekdom, and you can rest assured knowing that the actor is well-aware of how important the film will be to not only Marvel, but the comics community as a whole.

"If we don't get it right it's really, really going to suck," said Downey. "It has to be the crowning blow of Marvel's best and brightest because it's the hardest thing to get right. It's tough to spin all the plates for one of these characters."

However, in taking on the role of a key member of the Avengers to such digital fanfare, Downey has in a sense become the face of the operation — at least until other Marvel films such as "Captain America" and "Thor" get made (and, likewise, until Marvel figures out how to handle the Hulk). To a lesser actor, this seems like an insurmountable amount of pressure, but Downey remains level-headed, and like any good soldier, knows he's got a job to do, knows he's already got a solid team at his side, and looks forward to seeing how the other films will play into the "Avengers."

"I think its important that I do what I'm supposed to do which is keep my side of the street clean," said Downey. "The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Whedon to head 'Avengers'
Source: Variety

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Incredible Hulk will soon start taking orders from Joss Whedon.

Marvel Studios is wrapping up a deal for Whedon to helm "The Avengers," which assembles the superheroes in one pic on May 4, 2012, that Paramount will distrib. Whedon will also rework Zak Penn's script.

Whedon, a favorite among fanboys, most recently penned the script for "Cabin in the Woods," a horror pic that he is also producing for MGM. Pic co-stars Chris Hemsworth, who plays the hammer-wielding Thor.

The creator of series like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel," "Firefly" and more recently "Dollhouse," all for Fox, has been close to helming a superhero pic before, namely "Wonder Woman" for Joel Silver at Warner Bros., but Whedon wound up ankling the project due to creative issues.

He directed episodes of those series, and recently helmed an episode of Fox's "Glee." "Serenity" is his sole film directing credit. The sci-fi western, distribbed by Universal in 2005, was based on the short-lived "Firefly."

"The Avengers" extends Whedon's long relationship with Marvel. He wrote for the comicbook company's "Astonishing X-Men" series.

"The Avengers" would star Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Hemsworth (Thor) and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury). Edward Norton may also return as the Hulk.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Marvel dumps Norton as Hulk: Sorry, but you're not a team player
Source: SciFi Wire

The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets, right? We're wondering whether the same will be true for Ed Norton, who recently learned that he WON'T be back as the green giant in The Avengers.

We'd all been awaiting the news that Norton would be returning in the role, even thinking it might be confirmed at Comic-Con next week, when Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige made this startlingly candid announcement:

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

In response, Ed Norton's agent Brian Swardstrom got his Hulk on:

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

"We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

We don't know which side to believe. But one thing we do know—the story ain't over yet!

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Mark Ruffalo In Late-Stage Talks To Be Marvel's New Hulk in 'The Avengers'
By Nikki Finke; Deadline Hollywood   

EXCLUSIVE: Imagine the Hollywood actor whom you'd least expect to play The Incredible Hulk in The Avengers, and maybe, just maybe, you'd come up with the name of Mark Ruffalo. He's always been an actor's actor and is getting critical raves in Focus Features' The Kids Are All Right which opened last weekend. But I've learned that he's now in late-stage discussions between Marvel and his brand-new agency United Talent to play this key member of The Avengers ensemble. Like Edward Norton, whom he'd be replacing, Ruffalo would bring real chops to the role. But, unlike Edward Norton, he wouldn't an on-set asshole.

Meanwhile, let me get out of the way that Thor (May 6, 2011) and Captain America (July 22, 2011) will be in 3D. They were filmed in 2D but the plan has been for the visual effects to be rendered in 3D for Captain America while Thor will undergo more of a traditional conversion. Kevin Feige is going to great lengths to ensure this isn't just a botched rush job. OK, enough with that.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I remember chappelle was talking about how every great comic (particularly black comic) had to do the hackey thing and stain their careers by dressing in drag in a movie - and it seems like every great serious actor of our era has to do the hackey thing by being a superhero.
I still find it so odd that such a specific, almost marginal part of the American pop culture can get so much mainstream attention.  and I really do wonder if people are paying the cash because they like comic books and superheroes, or they just wanna see a loud action movie on a Friday night with a good actor in it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Norton: 'Avengers' decision was 'business'
Says it was 'nobody's fault' he won't reprise Hulk role
Source: THR

Edward Norton is still defending his relationship with Marvel -- months after revealing he wouldn't be reprising his role as the The Incredible Hulk in sequel "The Avengers."

"I didn't want to be negative. I had a great time doing [the movie]. I was really happy to be part of it all," Norton told MTV News on Saturday when asked if he was taken aback with Marvel head Kevin Feige's statement that he would not be returning because of "the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members." Norton's agent then snapped back that the studio was, "unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory."

Explains Norton to MTV News, "The thing that was very disingenuous about some of the stuff... it was a very professional and very respectful business decision. We really couldn't work it out on a business level. I know that's a disappointment to some people, but it's nobody's fault. I don't have any disrespect for anyone's decision in the business framework... do what you need to do on both sides. I have no idea why anyone tried to characterize it as anything else."

Plus, adds Norton, "My life's way too good on too many levels to be over-intense about things like that."

Norton is still a fan of the franchise. "If you're going to do one of those [series], you don't want to be in one of the bad ones. I'm really happy people had a good thing with that."

Norton is next due in thriller "Stone" this October.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 20, 2010, 08:04:13 PM
I'm really happy people had a good thing with that."

Haha, what the fuck are you talking about Ed Norton?  Can we get this on the marquee?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

This will make no sense, it'll be great.

Nighthawk is pretty useless though, so's Capt America and scar jo. The coolest looking scenes seem to involve Thor iron man and hulk.

Also that thing they're fighting looks like the giant worm thing from transformers the last one. I caught the last 30mins at a friends place alright, I was drinking.
under the paving stones.

pete

actors need to stop dropping into the shot with the catwoman pose.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

Expecting this to be both awful and the biggest movie of the year.

Also, ScarJo looks completely irrelevant clicking her tiny gun in that final shot surrounded by the Hulk, etc.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Mark Ruffalo seems severly miscast... but I guess I can see him making a good angry face.