The Social Network

Started by matt35mm, August 28, 2008, 08:37:59 PM

matt35mm

I guess I'll post this in the News and Theory section since you all are HARDASSES about not putting stuff in the Grapevine until there's no way in hell the movie's not coming out.  And I couldn't find a Sorkin thread.

AARON SORKIN TO WRITE FACEBOOK: THE MOVIE
Source: Yahoo!

Aaron Sorkin is developing a movie about the creation of Facebook for Sony Pictures, to be produced Scott Rudin, a Sony spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

Sorkin made arcane public policy debates seem like the stuff of high drama in The West Wing. Can he do the same for the programming nerds who launched Facebook from a Harvard dorm room?

Of course, to hear some tell it, the story of Facebook's origins is one of back-stabbing, betrayal, an ultimately, mind-boggling wealth...

As part of his research, Sorkin has launched a Facebook page, which was first noticed by the Hollywood blog Defamer on Tuesday.

It was unclear whether the Sorkin Facebook page was legit until Rudin confirmed his involvement to NYMag.com Wednesday. A Sony spokesperson later confirmed that account to the L.A. Times and Portfolio.com

Facebook, meanwhile, is playing it coy.

In a statement, company spokesperson Brandee Barker said: "We are routinely approached by writers and filmmakers interested in telling the Facebook story or the stories of the more than 100 million people who use Facebook to share and make the world more open and connected. At this point, we have not agreed to cooperate with any film project, but we are flattered by the interest."

The next question, of course, is who should play Mark Zuckerberg.

----------------------------------

'WEST WING' WRITER TACKLES FACEBOOK
Source: BBC

Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has agreed to make a film about the founders of social networking site Facebook.

Sorkin, who created US TV drama The West Wing and wrote the Tom Hanks movie Charlie Wilson's War, has even opened a Facebook account to aid his research.

"I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page," he wrote.

He said the project was a joint venture between Sony and producer Scott Rudin.

Sony has confirmed the as-yet-untitled project is in development.

Relying on fans

Sorkin added he was aware of other pages on Facebook from people who claimed to be him, but had decided it was "flattering more than creepy".

"This is me," he insisted. "I don't know how I can prove that but feel free to test me."

The 47-year-old admitted he did not really understand Facebook, or "how I'm going to write the movie", so was relying on fans to help him.

"I honestly don't know how this works, which is why I'm here," Sorkin said.

"If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can. If anyone has any comments, I'm glad to listen."

Before signing off, Sorkin joked: "I feel about this introduction the way I felt about Sophie's Choice - It could have been funnier."

Since joining Facebook, the writer has been responding to questions and comments from fans, leading to some further revelations about the forthcoming film.

"I have a fairly specific idea of what the first 15 pages of the screenplay will be and no idea what will happen on pages 16 thru 130," he wrote.

"I have very strong feelings about the internet and its effect on our national culture, but frankly those feelings are being countered by the sophistication, kindness, curiosity and wit of the posts in this site.  "You people are screwing me up with your civility and intelligence."

Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg in February 2004 while studying at US university Harvard.  In the website's early days, membership was restricted to US students, but it now has more than 100 million users worldwide.

----------------------------------

Sorkin's Facebook Movie Group Page can be found at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33807262256

Kal

There is ONE obvious casting for Zuck... MICHAEL CERA

modage

Exclusive: David Fincher is in talks to direct Aaron Sorkin's Facebook script
Source: EW

David Fincher is in early talks to direct Aaron Sorkin's Facebook script for Sony Pictures. Sources tell EW that producers are very high on securing the acclaimed director's involvement on the project, which centers on the drama behind the Harvard dorm room creation of Facebook by founder Mark Zuckerberg and his roommates. Producers Scott Rudin, Mike DeLuca, and Kevin Spacey are hoping to get the film into production this year or first thing next year. The movie would mark Fincher's follow-up to last year's Academy Award-nominated The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The script, supposedly printed on hard-to-photocopy red paper, is being kept tightly under wraps. All parties declined to comment.

Fincher circles Facebook movie
Source: Variety

Columbia Pictures is in advanced talks with David Fincher to direct "The Social Network," the Aaron Sorkin-scripted film about the formation of Facebook.  The film will focus on the evolution of Facebook from its 2004 creation on the Harvard campus by sophomore Mark Zuckerberg to a juggernaut with more than 200 million members.  Scott Rudin and Michael De Luca and Trigger Street are producing for Columbia Pictures.  The hope is to begin production later this year.  Fincher last directed "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Hwehhhh...hwoooeeehh...and other barfing noises.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMB.
WWPTAD?

hedwig

Stefen

Put a fork in Fincher. He's fucking done.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

i get the skepticism but maybe it's a great script. i don't know the story. Fincher seemingly liking it is still a good sign to me.

Stefen

Maybe Fincher of 5 years ago, but Fincher post-Forrest Button has shown he can't pick scripts for shit and seems to be going after the most commercially viable options available.

"The kids love facebook! This is a great idea for a movie with tons of financial potential!"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I think the challenge for Fincher would be to make a movie about a website interesting. It's the new craze in our world, but it comes off as very uncinematic. The challenge for Fincher would be to make it exciting. I doubt the movie would just be a human interest story about a couple of kids who make a major venture out a small hobby. That's too general.

I remember when David Fincher existed in the goth realm of Hollywood tales. He leaned towards darker films because it allowed his imagination for over production to go wild, but ever since Panic Room, he's calmed down and showed other sides to his personality. I don't know if it's for the better or a Martin Scorsese transition to the mainstream. Time will only tell.

picolas

Quote from: Stefen on June 23, 2009, 09:48:24 PM
Maybe Fincher of 5 years ago, but Fincher post-Forrest Button has shown he can't pick scripts for shit and seems to be going after the most commercially viable options available.

"The kids love facebook! This is a great idea for a movie with tons of financial potential!"
two years ago he made zodiac. you're way too quick to say he has no taste.

Kal

First casting decision...

MacGuffin

Fincher Makes Facebook Connections
By: Mike Fleming; Variety

Columbia Pictures and director David Fincher have set its core cast for "The Social Network," the Aaron Sorkin-scripted drama about the formation of Facebook.

Jesse Eisenberg will play founder Mark Zuckerberg, Justin Timberlake will play Sean Parker, the Napster co-founder who became Facebook's founding president, and Andrew Garfield will play Eduardo Saverin, the Facebook co-founder who fell out with Zuckerberg as the social network became a financial juggernaut. 

Production will begin next month in Boston and then move to Los Angeles.

Scott Rudin, Michael De Luca, Dana Brunetti and Cean Chaffin will produce. Kevin Spacey is executive producer.

The pic focuses on the evolution of Facebook, the social network created in 2004 on the Harvard campus. And how overnight success and wealth changes the lives of the classmates who created it. The trio were the subject of internet rumors as Fincher zeroed in on his leads. 

Eisenberg, who went from "The Squid and the Whale" to "Adventureland," locked the coveted role as Zuckerberg as Columbia prepares to release his latest film, "Zombieland," on October 2.

Timberlake was most recently seen in "The Open Road," and Garfield in the Terry Gilliam-directed "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: polkablues on September 22, 2009, 07:09:10 PM
Remember back when people were calling Justin Lin David Fincher this bold, fresh young cinematic voice? Yeah, that was hilarious.

fixed again, polka.

why couldnt this just go to Richard Kelly? everyone has already forgotten him being called a bold, fresh young yadayada.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

i hope the Facebook kids hate it.