Lakeview Terrace

Started by MacGuffin, April 11, 2008, 01:18:30 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Patrick Wilson, Kerry Washington, Keith Loneker, Jaishon Fisher

Directed by: Neil LaBute 

Premise: A young interracial couple move into their dream home and are increasingly harassed by their next-door neighbor, a tightly wound black LAPD officer. When the couple decides to fight back the feud turns deadly.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

That place looks nothing like Lakeview Terrace.

Also, this looks pretty bad.

w/o horse

I think it's going to be this year's Vacancy.  And if every year a film comes out that's a competent genre piece with low ambitions, but nails its tone and doesn't ruin itself, well I'll be okay with that.  Even if this year that film was The Bank Job, because I didn't see The Bank Job, but I'll see this.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Sleepless

Interesting article by the writer/director in the current issue of Script Magazine. Elevates it above the impression I got from the trailer.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Poobread

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

Gold Trumpet

I want to skip this movie, but it is Neil Labute. His first two fiilms were so good that they elevated him to one of America's premiere filmmakers, but he has been a puzzlement since then. The previews for Lakeview Terrace make the film look just as bad as his Wicker Man remake. I'll probably end up seeing it because it would be dumb to write him off already, but I won't expect much.

Alexandro

What happened to him? Really, what the fuck happened to the guy? Is he just collecting paychecks in between plays? I know the stage life is hard so maybe he said "fuck this shit, let's make some money" or something. I don't know but it's fucking depressing.

MacGuffin

Like GT, I wasn't expecting much but was curious about LaBute's involvement, but I was pleasantly surprised. This was much more layered than a neighbor vs. neighbor War of the Roses that the trailer leads you to believe. It had elements of Straw Dogs and Do The Right Thing. The characters had depth that goes beyond black and white (in both ways of the term). Never a slack moment; it was paced very well to give understanding to both men.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 02, 2009, 04:55:28 PM
Like GT, I wasn't expecting much but was curious about LaBute's involvement, but I was pleasantly surprised. This was much more layered than a neighbor vs. neighbor War of the Roses that the trailer leads you to believe. It had elements of Straw Dogs and Do The Right Thing. The characters had depth that goes beyond black and white (in both ways of the term). Never a slack moment; it was paced very well to give understanding to both men.

Yes it's a movie that was really mis-marketed. The trailer was so bad I was didn't want to see it but a friend had rented it and wanted to watch it before going out... turned out more entertaining than I thought. Also it has some pretty tense moments and while I will not remember this film within 2 years I had a good time watching it.