Love Me If You Dare

Started by pete, March 23, 2008, 11:10:38 PM

pete

Anyone seen this?  I was at an old flame's house in Boston when she told me this was her favorite film of all time and tried to force it into my suitcase, I said I'd netflix it instead.  I really liked it.
The movie revolves around a boy and a girl who grow up playing games of dare.  It is kind of clear that there is love or some other type of strong feeling between them, but neither can remain sincere enough for the other person to profess the love, thus they're always playing stupid games as they fall in love and grow old with other people.  The movie is filled with pranks and stunts that sometimes aren't that funny, but after a while those spectacles seem besides the point.  I became involved in the two leads' happiness.  But I also understand that there are a ton of people who neither cared for the characters nor the spectacles.  That's why I am wondering if anyone is up for a little discussion.
Oh and as I was watching it I kept on noticing similarities with a Korean film titled "My Sassy Girl" (though that one was a bit lighter), to a point where I had to pause the film midway to google the two titles together, to see if anyone else picked up on the semblance.  The first page was all movie news: Yann Samuels, the dude who directed Love Me If You Dare and nothing else, directed the American remake of My Sassy Girl.  Weird.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

i liked it. it's not a favorite, but i gave it to a friend for her birthday a while ago. she raved about amelie, so i figured she'd dig this. she did.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

This is one of the movies I watch the most. I guess that means it's a favorite. I'm not the biggest fan of Amelie, but I understand it's style is very enchanting and almost as good as candy, but Audrey Tatou's character doesn't wonder me the way she does others. I consider Love Me If You Dare to be ripped from the same idea of imagination and much more up my alley. The cynical sense of humor is more identifiable for me.

Everyone also has movies they like to show girlfriends or boyfriends that give them a sense of their personality. I have zero interest to bore someone with L'Avventura but Love Me if You Dare is always a safe bet.

Weird. Oh

yep. Saw it when it came out on video a few years back. Thought it was okay. Knew my girlfriend would love it and showed it to her and she did. Guess you watched it because Marion Cottilard just won best actress?
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

pete

no.
Quote from: pete on March 23, 2008, 11:10:38 PM
I was at an old flame's house in Boston when she told me this was her favorite film of all time and tried to force it into my suitcase, I said I'd netflix it instead.

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

shinwa

I watched it late last year. I really thought I would like it, but I couldn't get past the way that they lived in a world of no consequence. It all felt so pointlessly hip. By the time the end rolled around, I felt little more than that the characters were really dumb.
Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong