this is england

Started by pete, December 16, 2007, 11:42:35 PM

pete

I'd just seen it.  I loved it, but I thought the climax was predictable and was kinda in the shadow of "Do the Right Thing".  it's super-intelligent as it deals with the boy's issues and how they're manifested through the creepy older guy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

I absolutely loved this film. My favourite overall of the year. I want to get the DVD so bad, but I think someone's got it for me for xmas, so just gotta wait...

I love the shoe shop scene :)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

grand theft sparrow

SPOILERS

I really liked this one overall but I had some problems with it.  It reminded me of Ali in the sense that everything in the film was great but it needed more.  I don't know how deep in the shit Shane Meadows got before he got out but I felt like he always made sure the character of Shaun never appeared to have his heart in it, that he was only looking for a big brother/father figure (so he didn't lose sympathy, I guess).  I wasn't asking for American History X but I would have preferred if Meadows had had the courage to put his character a little further into it, raise the stakes a little.  The impact of the final shot (a nod to 400 Blows) depends on it.

And the film loses Shaun after a while, focusing more on the guy who got out of prison.  For a movie that is supposed to be about Shaun, he's just kind of guiding us through his world, which would be fine but it makes it feel unfocused.

But like I said, everything that we end up seeing is great.

squints

spoily, maybe? just fucking watch it. You can get it on dvd.

i really really liked this. I say shaun could kick hw's ass. Stephen Graham was great in a few select scenes. Especially after the girl turns him down. Great flick.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

I've mentioned my admiration for the film elsewhere, but yeah, pretty solid, great, creepy performance. Shane Meadows is a great filmmaker, if you can find it, I really recommend A Room for Romeo Brass. Features Paddy Considine, quite amazing.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

This almost made my top ten... it was good... I mostly agree with Hacks... it needed something more.

Also, pretty predictable, but it's really hard to not be at least a little predictable and cliche when dealing with this subject matter.

Reinhold

i loved this film until the very end... the last few minutes weren't great.

otherwise, i thought it was really solid.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: reinhold on February 18, 2008, 10:14:15 PM
i loved this film until the very end... the last few minutes weren't great.

otherwise, i thought it was really solid.

Exact same. I just thought it would have ended well right after the big finale.