You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Started by MacGuffin, December 12, 2007, 05:38:30 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: June 6th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Henry Winkler, Talia Shire

Written by: Judd Apatow, Adam Sandler, Robert Smigel

Directed by: Dennis Dugan (Happy Gilmore; Big Daddy)

Premise: A Mossad agent fakes his own death so he can move to New York and become a hair stylist.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I'm somewhat surprised but somewhat not that they didn't say "from the guy who wrote 40 year old virgin, knocked up, and walk hard'. Mainly because the execs believe, as well they should, that a sandler flick could stand on its own. Plus Judd only cowrote this....anyway, this maybe could be good.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

hedwig

i can't believe judd apatow and robert smigel were partly responsible for this piece of shit.

andykal, you have honored this movie with your avatar selection.. i'm requesting an explantion.. now.

ps. a few weeks ago i was with a guy who wouldn't stop quoting this movie.. one of the worst human beings i've ever met. "THE HUMMUS!! HAHA DIP IT IN THE HUMMUS!!!!!"  :doh:

Kal

LOL

The hummus is actually not so funny after a while... but the rest is great. I know the movie is REALLY BAD, but come on, its hilarious. My point here is, when you are like Apatow, Sandler, etc... there is a point when you want to make funny movies, but also have a lot of fun making them. I think this one is so ridiculously over the top that they had a lot of fun making it, and I respect that. Making a movie like this takes balls.

Also, problem with it is that if you are not jewish you wont understand half of the jokes. So that makes it unfunny for some people. As stupid as the movie is I had a great time watching it and I'm still a big fan of Adam Sandler.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Quote from: kal on July 13, 2008, 06:53:19 PM
I know the movie is REALLY BAD

hahah.. you don't know how many Zohan defenders have said that to me. it makes it impossible to argue with them, they all admit it's a piece of crap!

it's not just that it's stupid.. i mean, i've enjoyed plenty of stupid movies. but Zohan is stupid in a bad way. it's Love Guru stupid. it's rob schneider playing a palestinian cab driver who tries to buy liquid nitroglycerin at a pharmacy stupid. seriously WHAT the fuck. dude needs to stop (living).

pete

Quote from: Hedwig on July 13, 2008, 08:08:22 PM
dude needs to stop (living).

dude, this better not end up on the who's next to croak thread a la cinephile.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

hahah.. you don't know how many Zohan defenders have said that to me. it makes it impossible to argue with them, they all admit it's a piece of crap!

it's not just that it's stupid.. i mean, i've enjoyed plenty of stupid movies. but Zohan is stupid in a bad way. it's Love Guru stupid. it's rob schneider playing a palestinian cab driver who tries to buy liquid nitroglycerin at a pharmacy stupid. seriously WHAT the fuck. dude needs to stop (living).

i've never been a big fan of rob schneider. in fact, i think his solo movies are some of the worse i've ever seen (deuce bigalow, etc). but sandler and turturro were both great. also the girl, i dont remember her name, but she is hot even with that stupid accent.

cinemanarchist

I don't know if it was the sound it made or the look on Sandler's face but the throwing of the Neosporin at the window was hilarious. Even if you like Happy Gilmore (which I do) you still have to admit that it's a bad movie, that doesn't make it any less hilarious. Sandler plowing old ladies in a hair salon and punching Bob Barker in the face both appeal to the same sliver of my brain.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Sleepless

Quote from: kal on July 13, 2008, 09:48:19 PM
also the girl, i dont remember her name, but she is hot even with that stupid accent.

You mean Emmanuella Chiriqui from Entourage?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fernando

^^^ Has to be.

I loved this btw, and I don't like too much apatow or sandler for that matter, being so over the top is what makes it hilarious to me.

haha I would also say it's a bad film, I don't like to say "the it's so bad it's good", I'd say it's over the top goodness, you either fall for the jokes or don't.

About rob schneider, I agree, that guy is awful and actually his part in this is annoying, but sandler was hilarious imo. I might buy the dvd.  :shock:

Kal

You see? This thread was abandoned, but my avatar inspired some discussion and now we have other people admitting this is funny in the same stupid way I think its funny...   :bravo: :finger:

I miss pubrick. Say something I know you are reading this!!

hedwig

Quote from: pete on July 13, 2008, 08:29:53 PM
dude needs to stop (living).

dude, this better not end up on the who's next to croak thread a la cinephile.
if only i possessed such powers..

Quote from: cinemanarchist on July 13, 2008, 10:18:10 PM
Sandler plowing old ladies in a hair salon and punching Bob Barker in the face both appeal to the same sliver of my brain.
there's a solution to that.

Quote from: kal on July 14, 2008, 11:06:50 AM
This thread was abandoned, but my avatar inspired some discussion and now we have other people admitting this is funny in the same stupid way I think its funny... 
yeah, jesus christ. i brought all you freaks outta hiding.

Fernando

Quote from: Hedwig on July 14, 2008, 11:29:21 AM
Quote from: kal on July 14, 2008, 11:06:50 AM
This thread was abandoned, but my avatar inspired some discussion and now we have other people admitting this is funny in the same stupid way I think its funny... 
yeah, jesus christ. i brought all you freaks outta hiding.

hey, at least we're not the ones that saw the love guru in the theater  :yabbse-grin:

Ravi

Quote from: Hedwig on July 14, 2008, 11:29:21 AM
Quote from: cinemanarchist on July 13, 2008, 10:18:10 PM
Sandler plowing old ladies in a hair salon and punching Bob Barker in the face both appeal to the same sliver of my brain.
there's a solution to that.

Hey!

My Jewish girlfriend dragged me to this film.  I felt it didn't go far enough over-the-top.  There's so much stuff that could have been done with John Turturro's character, for example.  The second half was a big mess of too much plot and unfunny cameos.  At least it isn't another Sandler comedy about a man-child with anger problems.