Gerry

Started by Ghostboy, March 06, 2003, 11:04:17 PM

NEON MERCURY

......SPOILERS........

..this film phucking rocked...evrything postive that has been said on here i agree.......i just enjoyed beibng with these guys.........ithe film really starts to phuck with your head alot.......especially towards the end where they start to walk in th eeraly morning and then it gets brighter.as teh sun rises........that whole scen is very effective an the music is reminiscant to 2001 when all the "trippy" sh*t starts happening........for mwe this film paralells 2001 and one alot....when you think about its true.........i... .i..............am glad you guys recommended this one...........i really like movies that phuck with your head and make you "feel" something.and as for the strangling i thought that damon snapped and killed casey...........

SoNowThen

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.and as for the strangling i thought that damon snapped and killed casey...........

Yeah, that's definitely how I saw it. But I gotta give it a rewatch soon...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: Jake_82

I think that Carlos Reygadas's JapĆ³n also uses his music.    And I also think that it was in some trailer,  perhaphs it was the trailer for "In Praise of Love"?
context, context, context.

picolas

so. good.

SOOOOOO> GOOD>

pretty much all been said.. but my god.. i was right there. sound. unbelievable.. lack of context is so powerful.. only a movie could do this.

its done wonders for my attention span, too.

go on the Gerry plan today.

Raikus

I have to say that everyone in this thread with the exception of SHAFTR and ebeaman...

IS NUCKING FUTS!

I really found this movie boring and drawn out. I got what Van Sant was trying to do with the 5 minute establishing shots, but when I expected to see something completely different that what this movie was. Basically, all those bad things I've heard about Brown Bunny could just be transfered to Gerry.

Yes, the cinematography was beautiful. Some of the shots were interesting. Mayhaps even two or three words of the catalogue of dialogue struck me as funny. But on the whole it would have made an excellent short. It felt like they hit up National Geographic's B-roll for filler.

Who knows, maybe it's an ambience thing. Or a mood thing. Whatever the case I obviously wasn't in the proper state of mind to see Gerry as some on here have.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

mutinyco

Rewatch it in a different state of mind. Now that you've read what everybody's written, and you know what to expect, rewatch it and pay more attention to what's going on WITHIN the shots.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: RaikusI have to say that everyone in this thread with the exception of SHAFTR and ebeaman....
what about me?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: mutinycoRewatch it in a different state of mind. Now that you've read what everybody's written, and you know what to expect, rewatch it and pay more attention to what's going on WITHIN the shots.
When I said I "wasn't in the proper state of mind" I didn't mean I had my eyes shut. It's not a 3D picture. I saw what was going on WITHIN the shots and it didn't work for me.

Sorry themodernage02. And you, buddy. And you.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Chest Rockwell

Haven't seen it. Worth it?

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest RockwellHaven't seen it. Worth it?
opinion differs, personally i wouldn't recommend it to u.

if u enjoyed Walkabout for more reasons than the nudity, u might enjoy it. if u were bored by most of 2001, don't ever watch this.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Pubrickif u were bored by most of 2001, don't ever watch this.
Chest's predicted response:

I wasn't too bored by it, but I liked 2002 more.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RaikusWho knows, maybe it's an ambience thing. Or a mood thing. Whatever the case I obviously wasn't in the proper state of mind to see Gerry as some on here have.

..it really is an ambience thing....and you do have to be in a certian state to watch it really....i bought this afte reading some posts ..and knew what to expect...and i was dissapointed...its great sh*t....try it again..sometime later..see if your view differs.......

El Duderino

I rented this movie a couple days ago and i really really enjoyed it. everything's been said already. oh, and 2002 kicks ass! F. Gary Gray is a genius.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

FooBoy

I saw it today and liked it very much, moreso than Elephant. The film's lack of story and dialogue was where its strength lay - nothing more is said or explained than what is needed, the lives of the characters outside of their journey is irrelevent. Its meditiative and reflective approach demonstrates precisely why plot twists are not needed to inspire thought.
->FooBoy

Redlum

Just rented this and I wish I could have watched it in a cinema. It held my attention really well considering but the creeping horror aspect would have been greatly enhanced by a dark, silent, empty cinema. Traffic down my street just really annoyed me. I felt detached the whole time. Somehow I think that might have been an intention of Van Sant's. I mean it's fairly obvious that that would happen if the 'microphone' was relative to the position of the camera. So when I was watching the 'rock jump' scene, I suddenly woke from a trance (thanks to a few minutes free of any distraction) and realised that I was watching a really really really great movie scene. That scene is brilliant for so many reason's.

I think Godardian mentioned 'Waiting for Godot'. That's exactly what I started thinking after the first 10/15 of minutes. That combined with the diversity of the location started me reaching for something I really don't think was there. What a great time for movies we're living in, where I can see somethig like this. In 2.35:1 aspect ratio, too.

Criterion treatment would be cool.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas